This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

What Do You Think?

lnr

lnr Newbie

Hi all,

I have symptoms that have been responsive to a gluten free diet, but my test results are all negative, except for the gene. Here they are:

AGA IgG 1.1 (normal is less than 10.0)

AGA IgA 0.3 (normal is less than 5.0)

TTG IgA 0.7 (normal is less than 4.0)

EMA IgA Negative

Total serum 131 (normal is 44-441)

HLA DQ2 Detected/HLA DQ8 Not detected

I had an Endoscopy, and the biopsies showed nothing.

I was on a normal diet for the bloodwork, but I had been gluten free for 10 days proir to the biopsies. I don't know why my dr. told me to go gluten free before them, but she did. She is a good doctor, and they had her name at the Celiac foundation.

What do you think?

Thank you for your help!!

Lori

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

Were you on gluten while testing? If you were not on gluten for at least 3 months before testing eating equal to a few pieces of bread a day then the results are not accurate.

If you were on gluten then it looks to me like you do not have celiac but you are predisposed to it because you have a main gene but if you were gluten free the tests are worthless.

If your symptoms go away with the diet I would stick with that because that is the real test.

lnr Newbie

I was consuming gluten when I had the bloodwork done, so those should be accurate. I know that If I'm responsive to a gluten free diet, then I should continue it, it's just that my symptoms alone are not enough for me to want to eat completely gluten free. If I'm going to be damaging my intestines, then I definately don't want to be eating it. I just wish I could know for sure!

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

Well if your symptoms have started and you have a main gene for it I would think you could possibly have it in beginning stages and just not levels they can detect quite yet.

Rachel--24 Collaborator

Having full blown celiac does not necessarily = lots of pain or symptoms. Some people with positive biopsies for celiac feel perfectly healthy and have no symptoms eating gluten while others with negative tests may be disabled by gluten. Reactions really do vary.

floridanative Community Regular

Well I think this post has answered a question about which test my GI did. I did have a full panel run Tues. so I will know more then but from the above info he must have run the TTG. He told me my level of a certain antibody should be 3 or 4 and it's 11.1. Can anyone help with how accurate that particular test is?

Thanks in advance if anyone has time offer their opinion or facts.

Rachel--24 Collaborator
Having full blown celiac does not necessarily = lots of pain or symptoms. Some people with positive biopsies for celiac feel perfectly healthy and have no symptoms eating gluten while others with negative tests may be disabled by gluten. Reactions really do vary.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ooops :o

I totally responded to the wrong topic. Dont know how I ended up on this thread. :huh: Sorry.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

KaitiUSA Enthusiast
Well I think this post has answered a question about which test my GI did.  I did have a full panel run Tues. so I will know more then but from the above info he must have run the TTG. He told me my level should be 3 or 4 and it's 11.1. Can anyone help with how accurate that particular test is?

Thanks in adnvance if anyone has time offer their opinion or facts.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The tTG is a very accurate test. What were your other levels of the other tests or don't you know yet?

Archived