Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

absullivan6

Diagnosed Toddler Exposure To Gluten Tonight

My son is 2.5 and was diagnosed right before his 2nd birthday after constantly throwing up, low energy, not growing, etc.
The past 7 months have been life changing and we've seen huge improvements!
Unfortunately, I think tonight he was glutened.  We went to a local restaurant that we've been to plenty with him and got him a gluten-free meal which I think was contaminated.  Within 2 hours of eating dinner he was vomiting and did so for a good 2 hours, until all the food, plus bile, etc. were out of his stomach.
I feel terrible that this happened, but realize it's a reality of having a child with celiac and not keeping him in a bubble.  He's finally asleep but wasn't able to keep any water or Pedialyte down.  I'm hoping he sleeps well tonight and will be back to his normal self tomorrow.  

We won't be eating out again anytime soon.
For other parents, do your children react like this when they are glutened?  How long does it take for them to go back to feeling ok?  Should we expect him to be throwing up tomorrow?  Thank you!

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I am sorry that he is ill and hope he is well soon.

Celiacs generally feel poorly for a few days, and up to a few weeks depending on symptoms.  The immediate reaction (vomitting) may fade but other symptoms like fatigue and crankiness may linger for a while.

Off topic:

I'm afraid that my hackles are a bit up after reading the comment about not keeping him in a bubble.  :(  I don't feel like my family lives in a bubble because we don't take the risk of eating out in restaurants  I just feel like a mom who has to cook more than average, but not like I live in a bubble. ;)  To me, eating out is a luxury and not a need.  KWIM?

I didn't write this to attack you, and hope it didn't come off that way - if it did the I apologize.  I just want you to be aware of how that comment may sound to some celiacs.  I know it is hard to keep a celiac, and especially a young celiac, safe. It sounds like you've been doing a good job so far.

Best wishes.  I hope he is well soon.

Nicole 

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993

Celiac - June, 2012

Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Join eNewsletter

hope your son feels better soon, that is awful.

I have to agree here too. after years of eating out being my norm, to me now it's not worth the possibility of being sick for a week. I don't live in a bubble, but just don't eat unknown food out. I bring my food wherever I go. if I ever showed up anywhere without my nifty cooler bag, people would be puzzled. 

gluten free since 11/12  

dairy and soy free since 1/13

chocolate free since 6/14

I miss my chocolate!!!   but I'm not sick anymore, and that's what really matters  :)

Join eNewsletter

We eat out, too.  So know you're not alone. :)

I have two kids with celiac and the other three people in the house are not, but eat gluten free (well, my husband eats gluten lunches a lot at work).  Anyway, when we eat out we eat family style and everybody orders gluten-free meals and we mix and match plates.  In the 1.5 years we've been at this we've had one glutening - we ate out and the two with celiac got hit, but the rest of us were unharmed (which tells me it was gluten and not food poisoning).  The older daughter vomited straight for ten hours.  Literally everything in her stomach came out.  She was exhausted for a few days.  The younger daughter screamed bloody murder that whole night and was clingy from obvious pain.  She was also exhausted for a few days.  Point being, gluten affects everybody differently.

ETA: this particular restaurant has a separate prep area and fryer b/c the owner's daughter has celiac.  All staff are trained in handling of gluten-free meals, etc.  It could have been something as simple as the server touching somebody else's plate and then ours.  It happens.  When I sent an email to the owner the next week he was so apologetic and sent a gift card (either way we would have returned).

Angela

Undiagnosed, but I'm positive that I'm the genetic link to celiac for my kids.  Gluten Free in solidarity of my girls!

Kid 1 (9 y/o girl) - DX celiac via blood in 9/2013 (age 7.5).  Negative biopsy in 10/2013.

Kid 2 (5 y/o boy) - DX as "latent celiac" via blood in 9/2013 (age 3.5).  Negative biopsy in 10/2013.

Kid 3 (3 y/o girl) - DX celiac via blood in 8/2013 (age 1.5) and 9/2013. 

Join eNewsletter

Thanks all.  I certainly didn't mean to offend re: my bubble comment!  I just know for our family, we love to eat out and travel and it simply won't always be possible to cook at home.  We do go out 90% less now and will broach the travel thing when the time comes.

My son was back to normal the next day once he hydrated and got everything out of his body.  We definitely won't be going out with him anytime soon!

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter