Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

ginarino

Weight Lifting After Celiac Diagnosis

Rate this topic

I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease 3 weeks ago. I am amazed as numerous symptoms that I didn't know I had are vanishing (post nasal drip, fatigue, joint pain, muscle weakness, de-yellowing in nail beds, etc.).

After cutting out gluten 100% including in body care and cleaning products, I am noticing that it's much easier for me to gain and sustain muscle, and that my muscle mass is double what it was. I lift weights and do yoga for health (am not a body builder). 6 months ago I had to stop yoga because I could barely get into downward dog without feeling my blood pressure shoot up, so needless to say weight lifting was out too. I couldn't even pick up a 15 pound weight to move it while cleaning the floor.

Has anyone else experienced this miraculous change? I easily see 2X the muscle gain that I did when I was lifting at my heaviest a year ago.

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease on 2/25/15.

Diagnosed with Thyroid Cancer on 3/20/15. Doctor believes I have Hashimoto's as well. Surgery is forthcoming.

I am 100% Gluten Free (food, cleaning products, bodycare, everything that touches or goes into my body).

I am a yogi and weight lifter, and practice meditation to alleviate stress and become more present in my life. As my body heals and the muscle weakness and fatigue lift, I try to move more every day to reduce inflammation and help my immune system.

Interested in holistic healing and nutrition, positivity and optimism.

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Yes. I have not returned to weightlifting, but within a couple weeks of going gluten free, my stamina for walking went up incredibly. I do a minimum of 35 minutes a day, but on vacation soon after changing diet, I was walking for up to 3 hours a day. It is such a blessing to feel good again.

Join eNewsletter

Definitely a change, but not as quick as you.  I now can deadlift and squat 85 lbs and overhead lifting 35lbs.  Still working to see what I am capable of.  But 1.5 years ago when I went gluten free, I thought a 5 lb hand weight was heavy...

Diagnosed Oct 2013 - Double DQ 2 (2.5 and 2.2)

Gluten Free Since April 2013, June 2013, and finally strictly gluten free since Oct 14th 2013 (Ok, it took a few tries to finally realize gluten was my issue)

Mustard Allergy

Osteopenia

Join eNewsletter