This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Pain In Right Quadrant Of Abdomen?

king-15

king-15 Newbie

I haven't had a blood test for celiac's. However, I did have IGG allergy testing done and it showed I am allergic to gluten.

Anyways, one of the main symptoms I have is pain in my right quadrant of my abdomen. It also makes me bloat on the right abdomen. It's almost as if it is right behind my rib cage. Does anyone else have this symptom? Is there any suggestions on what it may be or how to fix it?

Also, it isn't my gallbladder or appendix because I have had both of those removed. I suspect it may be related to constipation but I'm not sure. My doctor prescribed me dicyclomine. That helps usually, but it is only putting a band-aid over the problem.

I get the pain usually when I eat. It's a lot worse if I eat gluten (I have cut it out recently. If I do eat it, it is by accident.), but eating pretty much anything makes it hurt.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cyclinglady Grand Master

Unfortunaltely, we are not doctors here. If you suspect celiac disease I would suggest a celiac blood panel:

-tTG IgA and tTG IgG

-DGP IgA and DGP IgG

-EMA IgA

-total serum IgA and IgG (control test)

-AGA IGA and AGA IgG - older and less reliable tests largely replace by the DGP tests

-endoscopic biopsy - make sure at least 6 samples are taken

(Source: NVSMOM -- )

Lots of folks have bile duct issues after a Cholecystectomy. So, you can not discount that. I guess I am saying that you should work with your doctor to figure this out.

Welcome to the forum and let us know how it goes!

LauraTX Rising Star

As for the problems in your upper right quadrant, you can definitely have symptoms and pain after having your gallbladder removed.  It can take a very long time to clear up.  Some people have problems adjusting to having that constant flow of bile out where it used to be regulated, and there are also multiple sphincters in that area that can have a dysfunction.  You can ask to have that looked into, and I also recommend getting properly tested for Celiac disease with the blood tests listed above.  You will need to be on a gluten containing diet for those to be accurate.  If it has been more than a week or so that you have been lightly gluten-free, you will need to go back to eating Open Original Shared Link.

Here is some info to steer your doctor in a good direction on the phantom gallbladder pain (that is what I call mine):

Open Original Shared Link

nvsmom Community Regular

I haven't had a blood test for celiac's. However, I did have IGG allergy testing done and it showed I am allergic to gluten.

Anyways, one of the main symptoms I have is pain in my right quadrant of my abdomen. It also makes me bloat on the right abdomen. It's almost as if it is right behind my rib cage. Does anyone else have this symptom? Is there any suggestions on what it may be or how to fix it?

Also, it isn't my gallbladder or appendix because I have had both of those removed. I suspect it may be related to constipation but I'm not sure. My doctor prescribed me dicyclomine. That helps usually, but it is only putting a band-aid over the problem.

I get the pain usually when I eat. It's a lot worse if I eat gluten (I have cut it out recently. If I do eat it, it is by accident.), but eating pretty much anything makes it hurt.

Welcome to the board.  :)

IgG testing is not actually allergy testing.  If it is what I think it is, it's an alternative medicine form of testing for food sensitivities that is completely separate from celiac disease.  I know of a celiac, and a suspected celiac, who had normal IgG tests.  I know some who had IgG sensitivity tests done and it really helped them, but they are not widely medically accepted (yet).

Allergy tests are actualy IgE related.

Your pain sounds like gall bladder related issues to me too, but I won't comment on that because I don't know much about it, except that gall bladder problems happen to celiacs a fair bit.  I do know that your stomach is slightly over there and could be part of it (reflux or bloating from gas).  Constipation pain is often on the left side because the descending large intestine goes down that side.  I used to have a great deal of C, and I could actually feel my intestine from the front when it was (ahem) stretched.  I doubt it is C.

If you get tested, don't go gluten-free first because it will cause false negative results.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

Archived