Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tpchan85

Help Getting Testing In Uk

Hello

I'm really struggling to get comprehensive testing done in the UK. My brother suffers from celiac disease confirmed by antibodies and biopsy. I suffer with IBS and some signs of malnutrition also trouble with chronic heartburn and esophagitis, my symptoms improve drastically on the gluten free diet. On the NHS everywhere I go they only do the anti-TTG IGA (mine always comes back like <0.1 in the range), they do not control test total IGA and the doctors look at me blankly when I try to explain this is not enough. I managed to get the intestinal biopsy done which came back negative, how ever, I had only been eating gluten for 6 weeks and they only took 4 samples.

I want a way to determine conclusively whether I should stop eating gluten or not. But I cannot find anywhere, even private hospitals, that offer the same comprehensive blood tests that doctors offer in the US. The only tests I can find are TTG, EMA and genetic testing.

What should I do?

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Hi tpchan

I am afraid I don't understand all these different tests but I do know that a lot of UK GPs have been sent info on this site - see link.

http://thinkcoeliac.co.uk/nice-recommendations

If it suggests any tests that you haven't had, it might be worth showing to a doctor and having another try.   But maybe you are looking for tests outside the NICE recommendations?  As I say, I am sorry, but these tests confuse me!

Diagnosed by blood test and endoscopy Spring 2013

Adopted a gluten-free diet in May 2013

BRITISH

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter