Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Rate this topic

I posted a few weeks back about possible Celiac disease as well as elevated liver enzymes. I saw my new primary today and after reading my ultrasound diagnosed me with Fatty liver ...I told her all my symtoms and she told me to eliminate gluten,dairy and sugar. I have been gluten free about 3 weeks and feel so much better. She said she will test my liver enzymes in 3 weeks, if they are higher I do need to keep my GI appointment. She told me according to my numbers my liver is "pretty stressed" ...my question is could the fatty liver have something to do with Celiac disease ?

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Yes celiac can impact the liver. Did your doctor do any celiac testing before telling you to try the gluten free diet? If not it was pretty irresponsible of her to tell you to go gluten free as you will now have to do a challenge before you can be tested. 

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

Join eNewsletter

I went gluten free (again ) about 3 weeks ago. What concerns me is now I have fatty liver disease, although the Doctor did not say "disease" just fatty liver. I am at my heaviest right now. This Dr. Is my mother's doctor and saw her through her ulcerative colitis that was caused by a gluten intolerance. I have had issues with my liver for a long time now. Gallbladder removed at 21, elevated enzymes in 2011 that eventually normalized but I had a normal ultrasound back then. Now, after more elevated enzymes my recent ultrasound revealed a fatty liver...I have to do not only gluten free but a no carb diet. Im just at the end of my rope with all my constant health issues.

Join eNewsletter

Try not to worry too much. If the liver issues are gluten related then the issues may well resolve gluten free. It could take a bit of time though. Please be sure not to drink any alcohol whatsoever if you do drink. 

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

Join eNewsletter

I would talk to you doctor about testing for celiac disease ASAP.  You need to be eating gluten (ideally in the 2-3 months) prior to testing for the most accurate results.  If they want to test you in the future you would have to resume eating gluten for about 12 weeks - not good for your health.  Resuming gluten for a short time and testing SOON. may be better for you.

Request the tTG IgA, tTG IgG, DGP IgA, DGP IgG, EMA IgA, total serum IgA, and the AGA IgA and AGA IgG if the DGP tests are unavailable.

There are a few people who are eating lowcarb high fat (LCHF) around here.  You'll have some company as you go through this.(hug) 

Best wishes.

Nicole 

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993

Celiac - June, 2012

Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Join eNewsletter

Thank you all for the feedback...my Dr. Seems to think the fatty liver is the cause for my elevated liver enzymes. She seems very open to gluten being a culprit for me. I think I will call to ask for Celiac testing. At this time I will not do a gluten challenge because my liver is really stressed according to the bloodwork and my Dr. Has put me on a very strict diet. I am a little sad by all this especially the fatty liver diagnoses. I have never been a heavy drinker.

Join eNewsletter

Get the celiac testing done ASAP. I would consider going back on gluten. Do the research to confirm what we all have said.

That gallbladder? Most likely linked to celiac disease. Mine was removed because it was not functioning. It is a family curse -- just like Celiac Disease!

Your liver should improve on a gluten-free diet, but an official diagnosis will not only help you, but your kids and the rest of your family.

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005

Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014

Anemia -- Resolved

Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013

Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013

Allergies and Food Intolerances

Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Join eNewsletter

Test immediately if you are not doing a gluten challenge.  The tTG IgG test can remain elevated for weeks, and even months, so you could get an accurate result, but the tTG IgG misses about half of all celiacs anyways.  The DGP IgG and EMA IGG will go down to normal faster so test them immediately.

How are your blood glucose and insulin levels?  A high carb diet can sometimes cause this too. 

Nicole 

ITP - 1993

Celiac - June, 2012

CANADIAN

Join eNewsletter

All of my other blood work is perfect. The only thing really wacked out is my liver. My doctor seems convinced the fatty liver is what's causing all of this. They have tested everything including vitamin levels. . I know there is something more. My first go around gluten free I ate very high carb including tons of candy to make up for the cravings ...in December 2014 I resumed eating gluten , after about 7 months gluten free. .

Join eNewsletter

So fasting blood glucose and insulin was fine?  No prediabetes or anything?  That's good.

If there are no other issues that could cause the fatty liver, it could be celiac disease.  Are you going to do those celiac tests that were not done?  If so, do them soon.

The doctor being "convinced that the fatty liver is causing all this" is fine, but what is causing the fatty liver?  That's the question that would stick with me.  

Best wishes.

Nicole 

ITP - 1993

Celiac - June, 2012

CANADIAN

Join eNewsletter

It's funny you ask about the blood sugar. I was convinced I developed diabetes. Constant sugar cravings, exhaustion after eating and carb craving. Yes I had my blood sugar tested while fasting. My Dr told me that fatty liver leads to diabetes or goes together with it. The reason for my fatty liver is my weight. I'm 5'4 and 220 down from 260. I have been overweight my whole life but at my heavyset right now.

Join eNewsletter