Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

fetchfelix

Coping with constipation

Rate this topic

I tried searching this here but couldn't find much and what did come up wouldn't load. Anyway, diagnosed Celiac 1 year ago, been gluten-free since Jan, also diabetic so I've found this very difficult to cope with. I work irregular hours and am on the rd a lot and have little ability to keep food safely with me so its very challenging. I was never symptomatic, except now if gluten I get mentally foggy and have to nap big time. Initially I found my bowel movements were stable, regular etc. But Ive since become very constipated, and its getting worse. I know the regular foods that are supposed to help but Im wondering if folk have had success with certain foods? Im really trying to avoid stool softners or laxatives, but if you've found you needed to go to that which ones have proven most helpful? Thanks in advance!

Felix

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Hi Felix

When one adds fibre to the diet, which I am sure you are doing, it is also important to add extra liquid. A drink that might be worth trying is a cold glass of orange juice first thing - my daughter's teacher recommended it -and that seemed to help when she had similar problems.

A really good gluten free probiotic might help.  

Walking a reasonable distance when you can can also help get things moving.

Also, perhaps you are taking iron supplements?  That can really slow things down and if you are taking iron it might be worth looking into another type of iron supplement or taking it another time of the day.  I found ferrous fumarate affects me less if I have it first thing with a glass of water, then wait for an hour before eating.  Some people also find taking a magnesium supplement helps - but make sure you drink adequate water with it.

Hope some of this helps.

Diagnosed by blood test and endoscopy Spring 2013

Adopted a gluten-free diet in May 2013

BRITISH

Join eNewsletter

Dried figs ~ serving size is about 4 figs 1/4 of a cup, 110 calories, 0 fat, cholesterol, sodium

240 mg potassium, 26grams total carbs 5 grams of fiber, SUGARS 20 grams

The higher amount of potassium with 6% of daily value magnesium with fiber can have a laxative effect.  I'm not sure if that will be able to work with your diet.

Michigan

Join eNewsletter

Hi again Felix. I am sorry, I missed the bit about diabetes.  I have a couple of other thoughts but I am not sure if they would be OK for a diabetic so forgive me if I'm not suggesting stuff you can eat.

My grandmother  often suffered from consitpation and I noticed that whereas we all had a cup of tea first thing in the morning she would have a cup of boling water and lemon juice.   She also occasionally had one or two prunes for breakfast.  I am not sure if the latter works for your diet but perhaps the lemon juice would be OK?

Would a single orange and a cup of strong black coffee be OK?

Here are some other tips.

http://everydayroots.com/constipation-remedies

Diagnosed by blood test and endoscopy Spring 2013

Adopted a gluten-free diet in May 2013

BRITISH

Join eNewsletter