Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

elismama

Test results: positive or not?

Rate this topic

Hi there. I'm just looking for some help here. I got the test results back and my GP said the results were "normal" but I heard that for years about my thyroid until I asked to see the results! Now I'm diagnosed hypothyroid. 

Anyway, this is what I'm looking at: 

TISSUE TRANSGLUTAMINASE ANTIBODY, IGA  (Result) 4 (Ref. Range) 0-19

Seems normal but on http://www.mayomedicallaboratories.com/test-catalog/Clinical+and+Interpretive/82587 they indicate that 4.0-10.0  U/mL (weak positive). 

So is that positive or no? I usually stick to a gluten free diet and the doctor didn't ask if I had been exposed to gluten recently... I think it was probably 1-2 weeks since an exposure. 

The  CELIAC DISEASE REFLEXIVE PANEL test (Result) 175 (Ref. Range) 68-378

Does that mean I'm not celiac? I have a lot of the symptoms. My iron is really low but the results for anemia are all like .2 to .3 above the bottom of the reference range, so I'm "normal". Low protein, low sodium, low D but all still within the "normal" range - just a point or a tenth of a point over though. Low BUN - not in normal range and high blood sugar, also not in normal range. 

My doc says it all looks great! So, I'm wondering - do I pursue further testing? 

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Looks negative to me (you have to use the range your lab provided), but.....your doctor should have told you that you should have been eating gluten daily for 8 to 12 weeks prior to the celiac blood test.  On top of that, you were only given the screening TTG test which catches most (about 95%) but not all (folks like me!)  here is a link  to the University of Chicago's celiac website (very reputable):

http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/CDCFactSheets3_Antibody.pdf

You could have celiac disease.  You would need to retest after eating 1 to 2 slices of bread (or equivalent) a day for 8 to 12 weeks.  

The high blood sugar?  Consider reducing carbs.  Sounds like you are prediabetic.  Do not wait until you are full-blown diabetic.  I recommend doing some research on this subject.  Doctors tend to wait until it is too late!  (My humble opinion.)

Sorry to to be the bearer of bad news!  

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005

Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014

Anemia -- Resolved

Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013

Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013

Allergies and Food Intolerances

Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Join eNewsletter

Thanks, Lady. I have consistently had high blood sugar for a couple of years. The doc that I finally got to diagnose my thyroid issue thought I would be prediabetic, so she did an A1C test, but it came back normal. She figured it was some kind of adrenal issue. Never really addressed it and moved away. But, yeah, I still test high on blood sugar no matter what I do. My mom is Type II, so I'm very conscious of it - just doesn't seem to be much I can do about it. 

I'll talk to my doctor about the lack of gluten exposure prior to the test. Thanks for the link! 

Join eNewsletter

Unless you are on your way to becoming a Type 1 diabetic (autoimmine, adult LADA), you can prevent or delay full-blown Type 2.  I would recommend reading Blood Sugar 101, a nice website that explains diabetes, all the types, testing, etc. 

I guess if your doctor messed up on celiac testing, I would not place much faith in his abilty to manage diabetes.  Just saying.....be your own health advocate!  

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005

Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014

Anemia -- Resolved

Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013

Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013

Allergies and Food Intolerances

Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Join eNewsletter