Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

mcG900

Possible candidate? Symptoms/test results inside.

Rate this topic

Hello all,

Started seeing a GI and he has me scheduled for an upper endoscopy test in a few weeks.  I started seeing the GI because I started to get really bad gas and bloating after I ate certain foods, which sometimes would last all day and through the night until the next morning.  Never had any issues like this until the last year or two (I am 33).  I usually don't have any other symptoms like diarrhea or constipation, just really bad gas.  No one in my family has celiac disease.

I am trying to track which foods give me issues but it's not as easy as I thought.  For instance, beer doesn't give me an issue but if I have one Yuengling I will be in bad shape for 24 hours.  I had some pasta last night and was passing gas all through the night.

Probiotics, charcoal, and gas X were all tried but to no avail.  I did go for some initial blood work (complete metabolic panel), and there were a few results out of normal range:

• glucose: 101 mg/dL (high)
  • total bilirubin: 1.4 mg/dL (high)
  • immuglobulin A (igA): 43 mg/dL (low) - since i am igA deficient, he sent me for a different blood test:
  • HLA DQ2: positive
  • HLA DQ8: negative

I haven't been back to discuss the HLA DQ2 or HLA DQ8 results yet, but just wanted to see if anyone on here has any insight.  I can share other test results, but I just listed those that were out of range.

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Hi,

I'm no expert, but I do know about the HLA DQ2 and HLA DQ8 because I just got my results for those and have been trying to look for answers.  These tests are genetic markers for celiac disease.  If both were negative, your GI doc would have eliminated celiac disease as a potential cause of your problem.  Mine are opposite results, my HLA DQ8 is positive and the other negative.

Good luck with everything!

Join eNewsletter