Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

elizabelle

fatigue while adjusting to gluten-free?

Rate this topic

Hi everyone- I was just diagnosed with celiac about a month ago and quit gluten right away.. I've been feeling better in a lot of ways (less GI symptoms, headaches, insomnia), but I've been EXHAUSTED. I've heard that starting the diet could do that, but I was wondering about others experience with it, and would love some support!!! Any feedback would be very appreciated :)

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

It should start getting better soon. Mine lasted about three weeks. For some folks it'll go for five or six. In the meantime, go to the Newbie 101 thread pinned to the top of the coping section here for a wealth of information about the diet.

And welcome to the board! :) Feel free to ask a lot of questions because we're here to help.

gluten-free since June, 2011

It took 3 !/2 years but my intolerances to corn, soy, and everything else (except gluten) are gone!

Life is good!

Join eNewsletter

I was suffering from extreme fatigue as a product of celiac and then it got even worse after going gluten free. Mine lasted about 2 months. There is such a thing as gluten withdrawal & fatigue is one of the most common symptoms.

Gluten free Dec. 2011
Dermatitis Herpetiformis

Reynaud's October 2018

Rheumatoid Arthritis October 2018

Join eNewsletter

I had my vitamin D level checked and it was low.  I was put on fifty thousand units once a week for 8 weeks.  I now am supposed to be taking a daily supplement, which I constantly seem to forget.

Depending on where you live , it is very common.  Having Celiac just seems to compound problems with absorbing nutrients.

Michigan

Join eNewsletter

Thanks everyone! I'm getting the vitamin panel done tomorrow, so hopefully I can start supplementing them if I'm deficient, but it's just so hard to deal with the fatigue! I've had to adjust my work schedule so that I don't fall asleep while I'm seeing patients... Thankfully I have a flexible schedule and can do this, but it makes me feel so pathetic!! :o:o

Join eNewsletter