Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

gypsyl

new symptoms, pleasevread and advise

Rate this topic

A little background- Almost 3 years ago I contracted Fifth Disease (childhood rash disease like measles, I work in elementary) which presents in adults with horrible joint pain. Since then, I have had recurring joint pain lasting from a week to a month with seemingly no cause. Sometimes it would occur just before I was sick with a cold or something minor, as well. As far as I could recollect, this was the beginning of my joint pain. However, recently my doctor looked back in my records and she states I did complain about joint pain before Fifth disease. This joint pain is everywhere, but worse in my extremities and also worse in my left arm. 

It always went away and I had no other recurring symptoms. That is, until this past August. It started like normal. Joint pain all over, but after 3 weeks it was just getting worse. Then I began also have muscle pain, when I moved and also just when I was touched. Then the nerve pain started. Pins and needles and a painful numb type feeling, especially in my left arm (like I slept on it wrong but the dead feeling does not go away). Every day since August it has gotten worse and worse. I have had countless blood tests; I have seen a rheumatologist who ran further blood tests to check for immunity issues. Apparently I am perfectly healthy! 

Then, about a month ago, I began vomiting, maybe 4 or 5 times a week. My doctor just keeps upping the Gabapentin she recently prescribed me. From 100 to now 900 mg a day in less than 2 months. I checked over my own blood results and looked up everything I could. I had one result, ALP, that was low. When I looked it up it said that was an indicator for Celiac Disease. I asked my doctor about Celiac but she dismissed that idea. But I keep getting worse, literally daily! 

Saturday, I cut out all gluten. I figured it couldn't hurt. No one NEEDS gluten. It appears that my symptoms are now going in reverse. They are fading in the reverse order they presented. They are by no means gone and I am still in pain all over, but I can feel a difference. 

Anyone had a similar experience? I am 39 years old and have never had dietary issues aside from IBS caused by stress. Please advise if you have had a similar experience. I hate not knowing what is going on with my body and I hate taking medication of any kind! Thank you for reading all this! 

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

A viral illness can trigger Celiac.  Gluten is a complex protein chain for the body to break down.  Avoiding gluten when the body is under stress from an auto-immune disease seems to improve symptoms in many. 

If you want to get a "gold standard" medical diagnoses, you have to continue eating gluten.  Your doctor should have tested you when you requested it with IBS and joint pain symptoms.

Michigan

Join eNewsletter

Yes. If it were me I would continue eating gluten and DEMAND the full celiac panel. After all, you are paying the doctor so that makes you in effect, the boss. If your doctor still refuses, tell him or her you are going to find a doctor who WILL.

gluten-free since June, 2011

It took 3 !/2 years but my intolerances to corn, soy, and everything else (except gluten) are gone!

Life is good!

Join eNewsletter