Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

A.J.Black

duodenal bulb biopsies results??

Rate this topic

I have had several blood tests and a stool test that all came  back negative for Celiac's.  Then  the test results came back from all the biopsies taken. Other than Barrett's Syndrome it also says. Changes in the duodenal mucosa suggest gluten sensitive enteropathy, in the proper clinical setting. ( Villi are short and thick, decreased mucin production by surface epithelium and increased intraepithelial lymphocytes. There is crypt hyperplasia. )

Can  I consider this a positive diagnosis now? I have been avoiding gluten for a couple of months and sometimes it helps sometimes it doesn't. If so after upcoming surgery I plan on going strictly gluten free.

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Were you avoiding gluten when you had the celiac blood panel?  In order for those tests to be accurrate, you must consume gluten daily (1-2 slices of bread) for 8 to 12 weeks.  Exactly what tests were taken?  Many doctors do not offer then full screening.  These include:

-Tissue Transglutaminase (tTG) IgA and (tTG) IgG
-Deamidated Gliadin Peptide (DGP) IgA and (DGP) IgG
-EMA IgA 
-total serum IgA and IgG (control test)
-AGA IGA and AGA IgG - older and less reliable tests largely replace by the DGP tests

-endoscopic biopsy - make sure at least 6 samples are taken

VERY IMPORTANT:  Keep eating gluten daily until ALL testing is complete or the tests can be inaccurate.  

(Source: NVSMOM -- ?)

Welcome to the forum!

The results from your biopsy might actually have been showing improvement!  What does your doctor say?  

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005

Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014

Anemia -- Resolved

Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013

Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013

Allergies and Food Intolerances

Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Join eNewsletter

Thank you, and every time I ate pasta, bread, crackers,breaded meats and such I would get sick. Some times stomach cramps, throwing up,  gas, bloating,  diarrhea with oily film. A E.r. doc suggested I started trying gluten free or at least avoid bread, pasta and see if it helped.  I also have G.e.r.d, esophagitis,  hiatus hernia, the Barretts syndrome and I.b.s. oh and I'm lactose intolerant as well.

My p.c. had basic inflammation serum test run and a stool test to test for inflammation.  My gastroenterologist took several biopsies in several different areas during egd/colonoscopy. I have my follow up in February with gastro doc scheduled but they are trying to get me in a lot sooner.

Edited by A.J.Black

Join eNewsletter

No advice was given by your GI after finding villi damage?  You have to wait until February?  Or were you advised to go gluten free?  I am confused.  The gluten-free diet is all or nothing.  There is no reducing or cutting back on gluten for a celiac.  

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005

Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014

Anemia -- Resolved

Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013

Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013

Allergies and Food Intolerances

Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Join eNewsletter

16 hours ago, cyclinglady said:

No advice was given by your GI after finding villi damage?  You have to wait until February?  Or were you advised to go gluten free?  I am confused.  The gluten-free diet is all or nothing.  There is no reducing or cutting back on gluten for a celiac.  

Cycle, your doctors can not treat you if you have celiac, you can treat yourself however.  The doctors will use you as a cash cow however and run millions of dollars of test on you.  Stop eating gluten, and also be sure that if your cilia are damaged that you can still digest lactose as well.  Seriously ask your doctor what treatment they have for you if you test positive? and have them e-mail you the information so your lawyer can use their lies against them.

Join eNewsletter