Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter
JustJean

After positive gene test, what bloodwork to order?

Rate this topic

I have two daughters that are symptomatic and both have tested positive for high risk celiac genes. They were both gluten free by the time they were tested, so neither have officially been diagnosed celiac. I had the rest of my family gene tested and discovered that I am double DQ7, and my husband is DQ2.2, 2.5. We've decided to all go gluten free since all of our kids are 2.5 cis or trans. They have various health issues. I will get into more details in a future post. I have been gluten free for a few years now, but my husband isn't. I'd like him to get bloodwork before he gives up gluten. Besides a full celiac panel, what other tests should he request? 

Edited by JustJean

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

-Tissue Transglutaminase (tTG) IgA and (tTG) IgG
-Deamidated Gliadin Peptide (DGP) IgA and (DGP) IgG
-EMA IgA 
-total serum IgA and IgG (control test)
-AGA IGA and AGA IgG - older and less reliable tests largely replace by the DGP tests

-endoscopic biopsy - make sure at least 6 samples are taken

VERY IMPORTANT:  Keep eating gluten daily until ALL testing is complete or the tests can be inaccurate.  

(Source: NVSMOM -- ?)

Welcome to the forum and let us know how it goes! 

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005

Diagnosed via Blood Test (DGP IgA only) and Endoscopy: March 2013

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis

Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013

Allergies and Food Intolerances

Repeat endoscopy/Biopsies: Healed

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Thank you, that is very helpful.  I was wondering, if we should also ask for thyroid or deficiency tests, but I suppose that would come after a positive celiac test.

I will keep you posted. We have six kids with various health issues and my suspicions are finally being confirmed. It was worth getting the gene testing done just to stop second guessing myself.

You do know that 30% of the poulation carries the celiac genes, right?  And only a tiny amount actually go on to develop celiac disease?  The gene test is usually used only to rule out celiac disease -- not to diagnose.  So, your family has the slight risk of developing celiac disease, but without actual antibody testing or intestinal biopsies, you will never know for sure.   It is a good idea to get your husband tested now if he has symptoms and because he is consuming gluten daily.  

If you suspect thyroid issues, your doctor can order thyroid tests.  Only as few celiac patients have thyroid disorders.  Normal CBC blood tests ordered during a regular check-up for anybody (with or without celiac disease) can rule out anemia and other issues.  

I am assuming that you and your two daughters are now symptom free since being gluten free?.  How old are your kids?  A celiac disease diagnosis is VERY helpful if your kids go to school.  

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005

Diagnosed via Blood Test (DGP IgA only) and Endoscopy: March 2013

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis

Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013

Allergies and Food Intolerances

Repeat endoscopy/Biopsies: Healed

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator