Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Suenthe4cs

dermatitis herpetiformis

Rate this topic

Hiya I'm new to this page I've recently been suffering from recurrent ear infections and the ent doctor has said it is related to a skin issue, but I have been suffering from an itchy blistery type rash that after some research I'm wondering if You think it could sound like dermatitis herpetiformis? It's itchy and blister like.. But mainly in scalp on hair line or chest 

I do have other symptoms of celiac disease I have had low b12 but - intrinsic factor when tested for 6 years now although have a family history of pernicious anaemia, bloating gas brain fog etc.

ive had a blood test for antibodies this week but was negative but when I do finally see a dermatologists is it worth askin them to test ?

thanks

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Make sure you chose a Dermatologist that is actively treating patients with DH.      I saw 4 Dermatologists in 30 years before I found one the would listen to me and knew how to test for it.    The test takes 2 weeks for tissue results.    

I'm a New Man Without GLUTEN!

Join eNewsletter

Hi, yes, it won't hurt anything to get tested.  They test by taking a small biopsy sample of skin next to a blister/lesion, and analyze it for IgA antibodies.  At least I think that's right.  There is more info in the dermatitis herpetiformis section of the forum.

Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."

Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.

Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, eggplant, celery, strawberries, pistachios, and hard work. Have a good day! 🙂 Paul

Join eNewsletter