Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Bethanylynn

Feeling bloated after eating Gluten free

Rate this topic

Hello guys, hopefully someone can help me out with this. Today I went to a bridal party at a gluten free bakery so no gluten is cooked or is even at that bakery. I felt amazing having the gluten free pigs in a blanket, cheddar cheese Bisquits chicken salad and donut holes and everything was 100% gluten free well when the cake came out which was also gluten free maybe 10 or maybe longer I started feeling bloated and my stomach just wasn't feeling very well, had gas and needed to BM sorry TMI and still at this moment feel disgusting. What could have caused me to feel so disgusting and just not okay?

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Maybe too much of a good thing?  Do you normally eat like that?  I once got sick eating too much gluten-free fried chicken that I prepared.  I was a victim of pure gluttony (no pun intended).  ?

Xanthan gum, which is often used in commercial gluten-free products, will make me sick.  Never bothers my hubby, so it is one of my many intolerances.  I switched to guar gum when I bake.  

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005

Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014

Anemia -- Resolved

Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013

Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013

Allergies and Food Intolerances

Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Join eNewsletter

Xanthan Gum causes issues for people with celiac however, artificial food dye is also created with wheat. The pigs in a blanket catch my attention not so much the baked goods. The hotdogs or sausage has potential for gluten even if is supposedly all meat. Dyes and other additives are made with gluten.  Was there colored frosting on the cake. Tocopherol acetate is most often made with wheat germ. It's an oil added to alot of food.

It is possible your gut was just overwhelmed.  

Join eNewsletter

52 minutes ago, Not fussy just celiac said:

Xanthan Gum causes issues for people with celiac however, artificial food dye is also created with wheat. The pigs in a blanket catch my attention not so much the baked goods. The hotdogs or sausage has potential for gluten even if is supposedly all meat. Dyes and other additives are made with gluten.  Was there colored frosting on the cake. Tocopherol acetate is most often made with wheat germ. It's an oil added to alot of food.

It is possible your gut was just overwhelmed.  

The frosting on the cake was white and the actually icing on in the cake was chocolate. Didn't think about the hot dogs, they are a full 100% gluten free bakery so I don't know haha. Another person told me that they got sick bloatness and just icky from a loaf from there. So who knows. It's just crazy how I felt good until having that cake and the slice I had was a normal slice of cake haha. All I know is that I feel like crap bloated and what not, I feel a little bit better then what I did yesterday. 

Join eNewsletter

7 hours ago, cyclinglady said:

Maybe too much of a good thing?  Do you normally eat like that?  I once got sick eating too much gluten-free fried chicken that I prepared.  I was a victim of pure gluttony (no pun intended).  ?

Xanthan gum, which is often used in commercial gluten-free products, will make me sick.  Never bothers my hubby, so it is one of my many intolerances.  I switched to guar gum when I bake.  

No I usually don't but it was for a bridal shower party and I was hungry and it was so good, haven't had pigs n a blanket and donuts and all that for a while and was just enjoying it. It's just crazy how I was good until that dang cake hahaa. It's annoying isn't it? We basically can't have anything. You would think if we didn't eat gluten we would be fine but I guess not haha

Join eNewsletter

What kind of flour do they use?  If I eat certified gluten-free oats I still get horribly ill.  Bean flour bothers many of us because a damaged intestine can't process it as well.  What was their gluten substitute?  Most of the gums except for xanthan are bean too.  Guar gum is surprisingly made from beans.

if it isn't the flour or the gum then there are a few more places to look too.  Lactose can make you gassy and bloated.  Even if you haven't had lactose intolerance before, years of accumulated damage can reduce the amount you can digest.  Sugar, specifically fructose is another culprit for the same reason.  Fructose should be processed by the small intestine, when it can't be it dumps into the large intestine and the gas and bloating starts.

Join eNewsletter

Honestly, most gluten free breads, crackers, etc. give me the "olestra" effect. Remember when olestra was put in potato chips and everyone who ate them got severe stomach cramping, etc.?  Same is true for me whenever I try to eat most gluten-free bread products. There's just so much fake and unnatural ingredients in them. The better they taste, the worse they are for you.  That's my take on it.  I try to stay away from all gluten-free grains and feel great because of it. 

Join eNewsletter