pschwab

Help with diaper rash!

Rate this topic

Our two year old was diagnosed with celiac two months ago. We went totally gluten free in our home and he doesn't go to daycare or anything outside the home. He has been reacting really positively to the new diet. Three days ago he started complaining of itching all over his body. He now has a terrible diaper rash. We have changed his lotion and shampoo to gluten free versions so I'm wondering if he's having an allergic reaction to that. We are still using the same desitin we always used (new tube though). I thought I found that regular desitin is gluten free and he has never reacted to it before. I'm not sure what to do to help him. Any advice would be great.

Welcome!

Hey, I found that I was reacting to baby wipes.  We found them useful camping etc even after my kid grew out of diapers.  It can be found in many products.    Here is more information:

http://www.occderm.asn.au/health-professionals/epidemic-of-allergy-to-preservative-methylisothiazolinone-mi/

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/24/business/allergy-trigger-found-in-many-personal-care-items-comes-under-greater-scrutiny.html?_r=0

I hope you find the source!  

So when my babies had the terrible, horrible, nothing helps diaper rash I learned that just plain corn starch is the way to go.  Go to the baking part of the store and buy the regular corn starch for $2.  My oldest had it so bad he would scream the whole time we tried to change him.  Then I started using the corn starch and all was well.  It takes the fire out of the burn and it dries up the rash so it can heal. 

Edited by Poppycat

Are you nursing?  If so, are you gluten free?  Gluten from my diet seemed to effect my nursing baby's skin.  (I don't have celiac, but am rather a mom and wife of two celiacs).  When I went totally gluten-free, his rash totally cleared up.