Rate this topic

I'm 34 and I've had stomach problems for over 20 years. About 6 years ago the dr's told me that my gall bladder wasn't functioning and that's what was causing all of my episodes of vomitting. Had it removed and my symptoms disappeared for about 5 years. I had my 2nd baby in October and out of nowhere all of my old symptoms reappeared. I had blood work done and it did not shug eat celiac. I had a stomach emptying test and nothing. I had an endoscopy and colonoscopy and the dr said there was damage to my small bowel that was consistent with celiac. I don't have any other adult symptom of celiac though. Has anyone had anything similar?? Thanks 

Welcome Sarah :) 

There are lots of people more knowledgeable here, but just from reading the site there's lot's of coeliacs who have had gall bladders removed and there are some who are negative on blood but positive on endoscopy. I've seen pregnancy cited as a catalyst in onset also? There is also a 'silent coeliac' version where no symptoms are apparent.  So everything you've posted looks like it could be consistent with coeliac. It seems like it can be difficult to pin down sometimes. That said, endoscopy is the 'gold standard' so your Dr may diagnose on that alone, although they will perhaps want to exclude other potential causes of intestinal damage first?

Good luck and don't despair if it is coeliac. You may find going gluten free gives you such a boost you will realise you weren't as well as you thought you were. 

Hi Sarahb,

Other people have posted in the past about having their gall bladders removed.  It seems like gall bladder issues are kind of tied to celiac disease.  Since the endoscopy showed damage then the next step is to get the blood antibodie tests done.  Usually they call it a celiac panel.  But you want to get the full celiac panel, not just the ttg test.

Doctors sometimes say celiac manifests after a stress of some kind.  Pregnancy would count as such a stress.  There are changes in the bodie's immune system that happen during pregnancy and they could be the trigger for celiac in some people.   Interestingly, some people have reported that celiac reactions reduce during pregnancy and then flare afterward.  Others haven't had that experience though.

You do need to keep eating gluten until all testing is completed.  The blood antibodies sometimes drop off quickly and then the tests are useless.

There are also conditions that happen after having your gall bladder out some years later.  I've seen it in many patients over the years.  Ask your Dr. about Cholestyramine.  I've seen it help many people.

Debbie