This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Need help interpreting test results

Carolyn2013

Carolyn2013 Newbie

My doctor has left the office for a week on vacation. My test results were posted online, but I have no one to help me interpret them. Anyone know what the following means? I'd really appreciate your help! 

Report Result Ref. Range Units   Status Lab
IMMUNOGLOBULIN A, QN, SERUM 129 87-352 MG/DL   Final 01
DEAMIDATED GLIADIN ABS, IGA 5 0-19 UNITS   Final 01
                                  NEGATIVE                   0 - 19
                                  WEAK POSITIVE             20 - 30
                                  MODERATE TO STRONG POSITIVE   >30

DEAMIDATED GLIADIN ABS, IGG 2 0-19 UNITS   Final 01
                                  NEGATIVE                   0 - 19
                                  WEAK POSITIVE             20 - 30
                                  MODERATE TO STRONG POSITIVE   >30

T-TRANSGLUTAMINASE (TTG) IGA <2 0-3 U/ML   Final 01
                                             NEGATIVE        0 -  3
                                             WEAK POSITIVE   4 - 10
                                             POSITIVE           >10

TISSUE TRANSGLUTAMINASE (TTG) HAS BEEN IDENTIFIED
                AS THE ENDOMYSIAL ANTIGEN.  STUDIES HAVE DEMONSTR-
                ATED THAT ENDOMYSIAL IGA ANTIBODIES HAVE OVER 99%
                SPECIFICITY FOR GLUTEN SENSITIVE ENTEROPATHY.

T-TRANSGLUTAMINASE (TTG) IGG <2 0-5 U/ML   Final 01
                                             NEGATIVE        0 - 5
                                             WEAK POSITIVE   6 - 9
                                             POSITIVE           >9

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

From what I can tell - it looks negative

Sugarcube Rookie

Yeah each of the Celiac tests is negative meaning its highly unlikely that you have Celiac at the moment.

Jmg Mentor

First column is the resul of your test, the second is the 'normal' range expected, then there's some guidance on what a positive result would be.  eg your IGA was 129, in the middle of the reference range 87-352. 

The forum sidebar graphic obscures some of the test image on my screen but all the tests look within normal ranges as per Kareng and Sugarcube.

What caused you to take the tests?

Carolyn2013 Newbie
1 hour ago, Jmg said:

First column is the resul of your test, the second is the 'normal' range expected, then there's some guidance on what a positive result would be.  eg your IGA was 129, in the middle of the reference range 87-352. 

The forum sidebar graphic obscures some of the test image on my screen but all the tests look within normal ranges as per Kareng and Sugarcube.

What caused you to take the tests?

My doctor recommended I be tested to rule it out and get to the cause of severe stomach issues I've been having for the past two years (diarrhea, stomach cramping, bloating). I'm glad that it doesn't seem to be celiac but was hoping for an answer, so I could maybe find a solution. 

kareng Grand Master
4 hours ago, Carolyn2013 said:

My doctor recommended I be tested to rule it out and get to the cause of severe stomach issues I've been having for the past two years (diarrhea, stomach cramping, bloating). I'm glad that it doesn't seem to be celiac but was hoping for an answer, so I could maybe find a solution. 

Why don't you look at FODMAPS?  If that is the problem, you should find out really quickly on a low FODMAP diet - probably in a week or so.

A low FODMAP diet is basically gluten free.   The best part is that you don't have to be as strict.  Crumbs shouldn't be a big deal.

Open Original Shared Link

Jmg Mentor
3 hours ago, Carolyn2013 said:

You may yet have found a solution, test results notwithstanding. When your doctor returns they may decide the negative results are sufficient to exclude coeliac, but that doesn't mean that gluten isn't the source of your discomfort. I'm just one example of someone that tested negative, both in blood and biopsy, but who has a very strong reaction to gluten, including all the symptoms you outline above. 

My suggestion would be tha you continue eating gluten until you've seen the doctor and established whether they're ruling out gluten as a cause. If they do, then please consider giving the gluten free diet a try. Keep a food diary, before and during this period, note down what you eat, when and how you feel. There are other foods which cause intolerances and this may help you identify them. 

There are estimates that as much as 6% of the population are non celiac gluten intolerant, they test negative for coeliac but respond to a gluten free diet. You could be one of those people. I know you may not want to give up gluten but if it is the source of your problems you may feel fantastic if you do. 

Best of luck to you on finding an answer. If you do the challenge post on here for some moral support and advice. :) 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Jmg Mentor
6 minutes ago, kareng said:

Why don't you look at FODMAPS?  If that is the problem, you should find out really quickly on a low FODMAP diet - probably in a week or so.

A low FODMAP diet is basically gluten free.   The best part is that you don't have to be as strict.  Crumbs shouldn't be a big deal.

This was posted just before I finished typing, but on reflection Karen's quite right to suggest looking at Fodmaps before gluten.  Here's a good article outlining why:

Fodmaps are not a problem for me but gluten is, so I think I may be too quick to suggest people exclude it! I'm still learning!  :) 

kareng Grand Master
23 minutes ago, Jmg said:

This was posted just before I finished typing, but on reflection Karen's quite right to suggest looking at Fodmaps before gluten.  Here's a good article outlining why:

Fodmaps are not a problem for me but gluten is, so I think I may be too quick to suggest people exclude it! I'm still learning!  :) 

"gluten" is a high FODMAP food.  So many people with FODMAP issues find that going gluten-free makes them feel better as a gluten-free diet eliminates a major FODMAP food.  I think it is certainly worth a try, as it should make a difference quickly and is not as restrictive as a Celiac gluten-free diet.  Some people find that after a short time on a low FODMAP diet, they are able to go back to a more normal diet.  

Jmg Mentor
11 minutes ago, kareng said:

"gluten" is a high FODMAP food.  So many people with FODMAP issues find that going gluten-free makes them feel better as a gluten-free diet eliminates a major FODMAP food.  I think it is certainly worth a try, as it should make a difference quickly and is not as restrictive as a Celiac gluten-free diet.  Some people find that after a short time on a low FODMAP diet, they are able to go back to a more normal diet.  

Yes my brother in law (not blood relative) is (I think) one of those people. He can happily drink a beer (or several!) but onions or similar are a real issue for him. He doesn't do well with pastry either, but I don't think gluten is the issue with him.  Indeed, there are some studies suggesting ncgi is more about fodmaps: Open Original Shared Link I'd be interested in discussing them sometime, but I don't want to derail Carolyn's thread :) 

Archived