ChooseJoy

Biopsy was positive, blood work negative...

Rate this topic

I need help! I have been struggling for three years with various symptoms: extreme bloating, hours in the bathroom, headaches, fatigue, skin problems, stomach pain,  joint pain, etc... My doctor wanted to do a scope to see what was going on (before any blood work, weird). I was so fed up with feeling sick I agreed. Biopsy confirmed bad acid reflux, hiatal hernia and celiac disease. After these results the doctor wanted to do the celiac panel blood work to confirm. The blood work came back negative, but my genetic testing was positive. The doctor said I do not have celiac disease because the blood work was negative. I am confused though because I have friends with celiac disease and I have heard that biopsies are the "gold standard" for diagnoses. I have started a gluten free diet, but just wondering if the doctor got the wrong diagnosis? I am not being strict with cross contamination and still am having issues, just not as extreme as before. 

Hi Joy,

Welcome!

In a nutshell: your doctor is wrong, you you right. Biopsy is the gold standard, and the biopsy showed you have celiac.

You need to take your diagnosis seriously and work to avoid cross-contamination.  You also need to advise your family of your diagnosis because celiac is hereditary. Also, you might want to look into getting a new doctor.

Other things can cause villi damage:

http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/faq/what-else-can-cause-damage-to-the-small-intestine-other-than-celiac-disease/

Were you gluten free at the time of your blood draw for a celiac blood panel?  Exactly what tests were given?  You might not have had the entire panel.  The TTG test is good, but does not catch al celiacs.  What does your doctor say?   Consider a second opinion.  

If you wish to be gluten free...it is all or nothing.  So, watching for cross contamination is critical.  

19 hours ago, SLLRunner said:

Hi Joy,

Welcome!

In a nutshell: your doctor is wrong, you you right. Biopsy is the gold standard, and the biopsy showed you have celiac.

You need to take your diagnosis seriously and work to avoid cross-contamination.  You also need to advise your family of your diagnosis because celiac is hereditary. Also, you might want to look into getting a new doctor.

Thank you. I asked him about the cross-contamination and he said "it's not that big of a deal". I am looking for a new doctor!

15 hours ago, cyclinglady said:

Other things can cause villi damage:

http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/faq/what-else-can-cause-damage-to-the-small-intestine-other-than-celiac-disease/

Were you gluten free at the time of your blood draw for a celiac blood panel?  Exactly what tests were given?  You might not have had the entire panel.  The TTG test is good, but does not catch al celiacs.  What does your doctor say?   Consider a second opinion.  

If you wish to be gluten free...it is all or nothing.  So, watching for cross contamination is critical.  

This is good info. They at first thought I had Chron's but that all tested negative. I was not gluten free at the time of the blood panel. I called to see exactly what was tested in the blood draw, but still have not heard back. I had an endoscopy, colonoscopy and the "celiac panel" blood draw plus the genetic testing.

It's all confusing because for two weeks before the blood draw, going off of the positive biopsy results they kept saying I have Celiac Disease. After the blood draw results came back negative they said you do not have it, you are probably non-celiac gluten intolerant you can go gluten free but do not worry about cross-contamination. My genetic testing was positive, but I know that can be positive without the disease being active.

I might just need a new doctor and a second opinion. :(

Get your celiac blood panel results from your doctor and make sure you had the entire panel.  This is the entire panel list:

Tissue Transglutaminase (tTG) IgA and (tTG) IgG
-Deamidated Gliadin Peptide (DGP) IgA and (DGP) IgG
-EMA IgA 
-total serum IgA and IgG (control test)

Why do do I push for the entire panel?  If my doctor did not order the entire panel, my diagnosis would have been missed.  I test negative to the TTG tests even on follow-up testing (post severe glutening).