Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

• Join Our Community!

Ask us a question in our celiac / gluten-free forum.

Mshell

Osteopenia

Rate this topic

Just curious if anyone here has been diagnosed with Osteopenia and what to do so I don't get it fully? I was diagnosed to celiac about 3 months ago and also found out thru blood tests I am allergic to dairy, eggs, and sesame seeds

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Sure.  That is a common with Celiac.  Follow a strict gluten-free diet and follow the doctor's advice for more calcium and D -standard osteopenia advice.

It is common for Celiac to have a hard time digesting dairy, especially for the first few months.  Many times that comes back.  Unless you need an epi pen for dairy and other foods, you probably are not "allergic".  Food allergy tests are not very accurate

I have osteoporosis and have had a few fractures, but since going gluten free (and allowing plenty of time to heal), my bone last bone scan shows that I am holding steady.  I hope the next one will show improvement, but at 55, it might not happen.  I do plenty of exercise and eat a very good diet rich in the minerals I need to help build bone.  

Karen is right about the all allergy advice.  Chances are it is an intolerance that can be temporary. I got eggs and dairy back, but it took about six months to a year on a strict gluten-free diet.  

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005

Diagnosed via Blood Test (DGP IgA only) and Endoscopy: March 2013

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis

Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013

Allergies and Food Intolerances

Repeat endoscopy/Biopsies: Healed