This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

weight loss

Kathryn85

Kathryn85 Newbie

I've been gluten free since January 2015 per doctor's orders. Found out that I'm Gluten Intolerant/ almost an Allergy. I've lost almost 20lbs. I've dropped 2 pant sizes and I seem to keep losing weight. My boobs are smaller, my pants are starting to fall off. When I was 18 I was a size 3. I do not want to be that tiny again. I'm at 130lbs and when I was 18 I weighed 103lbs. I'm 31 years old now in a size 5 from a size 7 and a 36 c cup. I don't eat much due to a crazy work schedule and depression/ anxiety which I'm not medicated for. I can't afford to go back to the doctor now that I've lost my medical insurance. I'm kinda at a loss on what to do. HELP! 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GFinDC Veteran

Hi Kathryn,

That's a bummer about the insurance.  If you are not going to do the doctor thing, then it might be well to consider yourself celiac and eat like a celiac for a year.  You'll need to avoid all wheat, rye, and barley.  That includes barley malt which is sometimes listed as just malt.

I don't know how you eat now.  But a good way to start the gluten-free diet is to eat only whole foods you cook yourself at home.  Skip all the processed gluten-free foods for a few months until you get the hang of things and start healing.  You should also cut out all dairy for a month to see if it affects you.

The thing about celiac is it is an immune reaction.  So it is not just a temporary stomach upset from eating a bad meal.  The immune system keeps attacking for weeks to months after exposure to gluten.   Allergies are an IgE immune response so somewhat different from celiac disease, which is IgG or IgA.  IgE responses (allergies) can cause breathing problems and possible asphyxiation.  So they are more immediately dangerous.

Weight loss is a typical celiac issue.  The immune attack damages the villi lining the small intestine.  Those villi are the parts that absorb nutrients into your bloodstream.  They also create enzymes that digest milk sugar.  Without the villi things don't work good as far as eating and digesting food.

Welcome  to the forum! :)

cyclinglady Grand Master

From what you posted, it simply sounds like you are not eating enough calories to sustain the weight you want.   Going gluten free is not a weight loss diet.  It is just leaving out wheat, barley and rye.   I think you need to take time to learn to prepare and cook for your busy lifestyle.   You might find that your anxiety diminishes when you do not have to rush around thinking about your next gluten free meal.  Be prepared.  Learn more about the diet and tips under our Coping section of the forum under the pinned Newbie thread.  

i wish you well.  

• 1 month later...
SLLRunner Enthusiast

I agree with the two previous posters that you need to eat more. There people with celiac who are overweight as well, and some who are of normal weight. Make all your foods at home and increase your portions. If you are not sure how much you should be eating, there are plenty of apps out there where you can enter your height, weight, age, gender and weight, put in you want to maintain (or gain a few pounds back if that's what you want), and let them come up with a calorie goal for you. This would require logging your food for awhile until you get an idea of how much you should eat to maintain. 

Ennis-TX Grand Master

Perhaps keep some nuts, seeds and gluten-free granola for snacking during the day, Add a handfuls in between meal times. Always have a emergency gluten-free bar, shake, meal replacement shake for on the go meals if you can not cook or have time to eat. I find BCAAs and Protein shakes between meals and before bed help to maintain weight. Eating a regular scheduled meal at least 3 times a day and several snacks should be your goal no skipping.

• 2 months later...
razzle5150 Enthusiast

same here have lost 30 lbs and need to gain help

Ennis-TX Grand Master

Recently found 2 more protein powders that are working amazing for getting on muscle weight. I found adding pumpkin seed protein to my meals and before bed is really helping with recovery, seems it has a good ratio of zinc, iron, and other nutrients in it. I also found rotating my main blends from Nutrakey V-Pro to MRM Veggie Elite to help, And I absolutely fell in love with the flavor of MRM Sacha Inichi Powder, the stuff taste like those peanut butter girl scout cookies when mixed with a bit of a sweetener.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived