BergieF

Corn and Potato Reaction those with Celiac Disease

Rate this topic

My daughter and I both are diagnosed Celiacs through biopsy.  I'm a category 8 - DQ2 Homozygous on the Prometheus genetic test.  I think I'm reacting to corn and potatoes like I would with gluten.  After 15-30 minutes of eating those things I start shaking like someone having a seizure or Parkinson's, then comes the bloating, stomach pain, dead brain and then hours of coma like sleep.  Is this a common thing?  Does anyone know why I would react to corn and potatoes?  My daughter doesn't have a reaction to either of those foods.  

Sure, celiacs can have various intolerances that may or may not resolve with healing.  A classic one is lactose intolerance.  Corn, soy, and nightshades (e.g. Potatoes) are common.  Why?  Here is a theory from Dr. Fasano, a leading celiac Expert (PED GI at MA General).  

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3384703/

i like his lecture and it explanations so many issues celiacs tend to have:

Yep, nightshades (tomatoes, potatoes, peppers, eggplant) are a problem for some of us.  Actually many people have a problem with potatoes if they eat too many of them.  Nightshades contain chemicals called alkaloids that are hard for our bodies to process.  That's why they say not to eat the eyes of potatoes.  They have a more concentrated level of alkaloid.  I don't eat nightshades or if I do I regret it.  They are bad news except in small amounts.  Corn I do ok with as long as it isn't corn on the cob.

We can develop food intolerances to many foods beyond just gluten.

Edited by GFinDC

I ended up developing allergies to corn and bloat issues with potatoes and carbs in general. We each react differently, some of us will develop odd ball immune responses and intolerance to others foods. Some of these will go away over time as we heal others will stick around. Just hang in there and avoid what makes you sick while working on maintaining a balanced diet. Eating foods on rotation removing one from you diet for 1-2 weeks at a time can help prevent new ones, according to my dietician. I know I have a list of food s right now that will make me sicker then a dog, and some that used to be on that list have gone away over the years and new ones have cropped up. Good luck.