• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

lonewolf

Brazilian Cheese Bread

Rate this topic

I can't find Chebe in my area, so I did a search online for the traditional Brazilian recipe. It looks really easy to make, not much harder than buying the more expensive mix from Chebe, actually. I am going to try it as soon as I can get out to get some plain tapioca flour.

Has anyone that uses Chebe tried it without eggs - using gelatin and egg replacer or something? I'm allergic to eggs and milk too. Milk is easy to replace, but eggs are trickier. (If there was ONE food I could get back, it would be eggs!) I'm going to try this recipe as is for my kids, but want to try it DF, EF for me later.

Tapioca bread with Cheese (Pao de Queijo)

Recipe found at: http://www.pastrywiz.com/archive/tapioca.htm

Yield: 30 small cheese breads

2/3 cup vegetable oil

2 cups milk

4 cups tapioca flour

2 eggs, beaten

1 1/2 cups grated parmesan cheese

Combine the oil and milk in a pan and bring to a boil. Put the tapioca flour in a bowl, add the boiling mixture and mix well with a wooden spoon. Let the mixture stand for 10 minutes.

Add the beaten eggs and the parmesan cheese and mix well again. You will get a gooey, sticky mass.

Put a little oil on each of your palms and make small balls, 2 inches in diameter, (make sure when forming the balls that your hands are always lightly oiled). Place on a buttered baking sheet and bake in a 350 degree oven for about 15 - 20 minutes or until the top is light brown.

Like many Brazilian foods, Pão de Queijo is tricky to prepare. It is difficult to make the balls rise. Also, the rolls can harden very easily if left overnight. You could cheat by adding 1 tablespoon yeast to the flour."

Thanks,

Liz

I'm allergic to eggs too and I've found that the best egg replacement (when there is more than one egg) comes when you combine two methods: whipped tofu & Ener-G egg replacer. My breads come up fluffy and still with the right amount of moisture :)

Here are some egg replacer ideas (from http://www.vegcooking.com/vegcooking-eggreplace.asp )

Egg Replacements

There are plenty of egg substitutes available for baking or preparing a dish that calls for eggs. Ener-G Egg Replacer is a reliable egg substitute for use in baking. It is available at health food stores and most grocery stores.

Tofu: Tofu is great for egg substitutions in recipes that call for a lot of eggs, like quiches. To replace one egg in a recipe, purée 1/4 cup soft tofu.

In Desserts and Sweet, Baked Goods: Try substituting one banana or 1/4 cup applesauce for each egg called for in a recipe for sweet, baked desserts. These will add some flavor to the recipe, so make sure bananas or apples are compatible with the other flavors in the dessert.

Other Egg Replacement Options

• 1 egg = 2 Tbsp. water + 1 Tbsp. oil + 2 tsp. baking powder

• 1 egg = 1 Tbsp. ground flax seed simmered in 3 Tbsp. water

• 1 egg white = 1 Tbsp. plain agar powder dissolved in 1 Tbsp. water, whipped, chilled, and whipped again

Good luck! :)

- Michelle :wub:

Thanks Michelle,

I've been using egg substitutes for about 10 years. I was really hoping that someone else had already tried Chebe with a substitute so I don't have to try several times before getting something that works. I have found that eggs are the hardest ingredient to replace in baking. Gluten-free isn't so bad, but no eggs can be a bit of a challenge. It usually takes me 2 or 3 tries with a new recipe to either find something that works or find that it just won't work without eggs.

I've also found that using 2 or more substitutes, works great. I use Egg Replacer and ground flaxseed (I just use cold water) together a lot and also gelatin or agar. I am horribly allergic to soy, so that isn't an option. I'm thinking that for this type of bread the egg is needed to get volume, so lots of Egg Replacer might work, with a little gelatin or agar. That might be my weekend project.

Thanks,

Liz

Liz,

Sorry - haven't tried the Chebe bread, so I can't be of much help there. :huh:

Sounds like you are a pro with the egg stuff though ;) And you are right, *nothing* is more difficult to replace!

I fantacize about french toast - but since I have celiac disease, an egg allergy, a dairy allergy, and have been told by my doctor to avoid sugar at all costs (I'm pre-diabetic). It's not really an option for me :( But oh.. how I long for that rich buttery taste with maple syrup.

If I ever get off this no-sugar thing, I might try making it. Have you tried french toast without eggs?

Good luck with your Chebe!

I tried "French toast" once with Ener-G Brown rice loaf, rice milk and a gelatin/oil mixture. Don't bother trying. It was among my worst "flops". I make french toast for my family and have gotten to the point where it doesn't bother me.

Liz

Please let me know how the Chebe bread exp. goes. I would love to make some for my dd.

Michelle, I've used this recipe to make french toast for my dd. I'm allergic to bananas and she's allergic to egg! She seemed to like the the toast but she's a bread addict. :lol:

Can you use vegetable glycerin? I often use vegge glycerin from NOW Foods (derived from coconut). You might be able to find a maple flavoring that's alcohol free like from Frontier. Flavorganics has gluten-free extracts that have agave syrup in them. You might be able to get a maple extract from them. I was thinking that you could add the maple flavor to the veggie glycerin to make syrup.

My dd and I did the candida diet and I added cinnamon and a tiny bit of apple juice to the glycerin to make syrup for us.

Hopefully you can find something that will atleast remind you of maple syrup and french toast. :)

vegweb.com From Aquila

French Toast (with bananas)

Ingredients (use vegan versions):

3 cups sliced bananas (about 2 large)

2/3-1 cup soymilk

1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon

3/4 teaspoon vanilla

12 slices vegan bread

oil for cooking in

vegan maple syrup

Directions:

Blend together bananas, soymilk, cinnamon, and vanilla. Pour into a pie plate, dip slices of vegan bread into batter. Fry in a non-stick skillet until slightly golden, be sure to use plenty of oil or else it will stick to the pan (ugh!)

Serve with maple syrup

Serves: 6

Please let me know how the Chebe bread exp. goes. I would love to make some for my dd.

Okay, round one didn't go too well with the homemade "Chebe" type bread. Of course, I'm not sure how it's supposed to taste, so that's a problem. I followed the recipe, even using eggs, so I would have an idea of how it was supposed to feel/taste before I started using egg substitutes. It tastes like I would imagine white (wheat) flour bread would taste if you took it out of the oven when it was half done. Very chewy. If anyone reading this has a child who is about to lose a tooth I would recommend this recipe - I'm sure it would help any loose tooth pop right out! My youngest has interesting taste. He ate one and just asked for a second. Go figure!

But if I think about it, I might have used mixed tapioca flour and potato starch - I premix them to add to rice flour in recipes. Oh, then I also could have used just potato starch. I sometimes get the tags mixed up when I'm baking. I'll have to mix it all together now for sure. I see another trip to the store for new tapioca flour in my future.

Someone who has made Chebe please help. What is the texture supposed to be like?

Liz

Michelle, I've used this recipe to make french toast for my dd. I'm allergic to bananas and she's allergic to egg! She seemed to like the the toast but she's a bread addict. :lol:

Can you use vegetable glycerin? I often use vegge glycerin from NOW Foods (derived from coconut). You might be able to find a maple flavoring that's alcohol free like from Frontier. Flavorganics has gluten-free extracts that have agave syrup in them. You might be able to get a maple extract from them. I was thinking that you could add the maple flavor to the veggie glycerin to make syrup.

My dd and I did the candida diet and I added cinnamon and a tiny bit of apple juice to the glycerin to make syrup for us.

Hopefully you can find something that will atleast remind you of maple syrup and french toast. :)

You know, since I learned about my allergies - I have developed a whole new appreciation for vegans :) There is a book out called "Vegan Planet" and I bought it (right before the celiac disease diagnosis) and then returned it right after I found out about the gluten intolerance. But, you reminded me of one of the reasons I bought it! There was a recipe for vegan french toast! I will have to check it out, now that I've learned of the beautiful wonders of millet bread :wub:

(Once I get off the no-sugar diet, that is ;) Which I might actually stay on forever! I feel *so* good!)

But then again... mmmm... french toast :P

Thanks for the advice everyone!! :)

Hey Lonewolf,

Did you ever do another attempt at these cheese rolls? I am going to try some this afternoon. I just made a trip to the Asian market, so I know I have plain tapioca starch. The pictures look so yummy.

I am trying them in an effort to get a decent bun for Christmas. My goal is to have NOTHING on the table that my son CAN'T eat. I think it's pretty thoughtless to make Christmas dinner and then say, "Oh by the way, Ty, you can't have the stuffing, or the pie, or the buns, or the whatever." I don't care if he never eats stuffing anyway, it'll be there in case this is the year he wants to try it.

My pie crust was a wee bit of a disaster, but once you put ice cream or whipped cream on it, no one will see what it looks like. I snuck a bit, so I know at least it tastes like a pie crust.

Meanwhile, for the bun I have my backup plan in place: Carriefaith's soft, chewy breadsticks. I think that's what they were called and they are posted here somewhere, and they are FANTASTIC!

Hey Lonewolf,

Did you ever do another attempt at these cheese rolls? I am going to try some this afternoon. I just made a trip to the Asian market, so I know I have plain tapioca starch. The pictures look so yummy.

I tried them again and added 2 tsp. yeast dissolved in 1/4 warm water to the dough after it had cooled a bit and then let them raise for about an hour, maybe a little bit more. They were better, especially after they cooled a while. The whole batch was eaten, so they weren't a total loss. I still think they could be better... I'lm going to try again sometime.

Good luck!

Liz