This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Pregnancy And Celiac Sprue And Age...

Guest kim07

Guest kim07

I'm just guessing here, but I assuming that having Celiac Disease diminishes your chances of getting pregnant. Or, makes it more difficult than the normal woman to get pregnant.

Also, wouldn't your baby pretty much certainly inherit my "Celiac Disease"?

Lastly, I think I have the answer to this one,

but me being a woman who is 34 years of age, and wouldn't think of having a child for at least a year or two, are not my cances (double against) me because I have Celiac Disease???

Just hoping someone could help me out with these questions....

Thank you,

Kim07

I'm just guessing here, but I assuming that having Celiac Disease diminishes your chances of getting pregnant. Or, makes it more difficult than the normal woman to get pregnant.

Also, wouldn't your baby pretty much certainly inherit my "Celiac Disease"?

Lastly, I think I have the answer to this one,

but me being a woman who is 34 years of age, and wouldn't think of having a child for at least a year or two, are not my cances (double against) me because I have Celiac Disease???

Just hoping someone could help me out with these questions....

Thank you,

Kim07

man, usually I can spell better than that, :blink:

I just woke up, and haven't had my morning coffee

please excuse the typo's in the statement above

Kim07

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest Viola

I didn't have any problem getting pregnate, although I was 20 at the time. In fact I'm almost certain it was the pregnacy that set off the symptoms of Celiac Disease. I was pretty sick carrying our second child and ended up in hospital for almost a month before she was born. The girls are 18 months apart. The strange thing is .. our first daughter was diagnosed with Celiac Diesease when she was around 37, although she had symptoms for many years. Our second daughter, the one I was ill with, does not have Celiac Disease. So ... It's really hard to make any conclusions from that.

I do know the older you are, the higher risk for some birth problems.

Guest kim07
I didn't have any problem getting pregnate, although I was 20 at the time. In fact I'm almost certain it was the pregnacy that set off the symptoms of Celiac Disease. I was pretty sick carrying our second child and ended up in hospital for almost a month before she was born. The girls are 18 months apart. The strange thing is .. our first daughter was diagnosed with Celiac Diesease when she was around 37, although she had symptoms for many years. Our second daughter, the one I was ill with, does not have Celiac Disease. So ... It's really hard to make any conclusions from that.

I do know the older you are, the higher risk for some birth problems.

Viola, Thanks for responding

It was more of a curious question than anything else. I didn't know quite how high the percentage rate of passing it on to your children was (celiac disease). I knew it was probably really high.

Thanks

Kim 07 :)

jenvan Collaborator

Kim-

If you are truly gluten-free, you should return to a "normal" chance of pregnancy. If you are interested, there have been a few studies on what reduces the risk of a child developing Celiac...mostly breast feeding and late introduction of gluten containing foods.

Open Original Shared Link

https://www.celiac.com/st_prod.html?p_prodid=668

lovegrov Collaborator

If you are gluten-free and have healed, your chances should be the same as any other woman. The odds that your child will have celiac are higher than average, but it's definitely not a certainty. My father has celiac disease and I'm the only one of three children who has it.

richard

Guest kim07
Kim-

If you are truly gluten-free, you should return to a "normal" chance of pregnancy. If you are interested, there have been a few studies on what reduces the risk of a child developing Celiac...mostly breast feeding and late introduction of gluten containing foods.

https://www.celiac.com/st_prod.html?p_prodid=668

Hello Jenvan- :)

I'm mainly just curious, I'm far too sick right now for us to consider having a baby, not to mention the money issues,

I'm only 3 1/2 weeks into my gluten free lifestyle, I was trying to figure out what you meant when you said "late introduction to gluten containing foods" :blink: , I was thinking, you mean I would have to temporarily go back on the gluten foods for a while for some reason while I'm breast-feeding or something, but I know you mean the baby would need a late introduction to gluten containing foods.

Maybe one year from now, if I feel A LOT better than I do now, me and my husband will try again, luckily right now he's just fine with our house-hold containing 4 Dogs and 1 cat. They are deffinitely are children right now.

But you never know...

Anyways thanks for your links:, and always your advice!

Kim 07 :)

Roxyk Newbie

My husband & I were married in May, 2003 & tried to start a family right away. June, 2004 I was diagnosed with celiac. July, 2005 I got my postitive pregnancy test. I was very strict with my diet. I was diagnosed ONLY because my dad was diagnosed. One of my two brothers also has it.

my drs DO think celiac may have played a part of my not getting pregnant. There was nothing else wrong with my husband or myself. They can not prove it though.

I do not worry about passing it on to my child. It's 50/50. So they will eat like mommy - daddy does & he doesn't have it.

I am 37 right now, so you should be just fine at 34.

good luck, being pregnant is SO unbelievably wonderful. And NO morning sickness for me!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Idahogirl Apprentice

Well, I went off the pill and got pregnant the first month. I didn't start the gluten-free diet until I found out I was pregnant, and I ate a lot of gluten foods before that point. I am 11 weeks, and everything seems to be fine. Also, I have had one pregnancy before this, and it went perfect (before diagnosis).

kim07, Hats off to you for being so diligent and doing your homework!!

Lisa

Archived