Rate this topic

Hello! I'm new to joining but have found a lot of helpful info here. I'm hoping I can get some help understanding these SNPs? I did 23 and me and I'm a little confused. I searched for these SNPs in my data (per an article online) and am still a little unsure of their link to celiac? I've been gluten free for a few months and really, truly don't want to do a gluten challenge but still hopeful for maybe a little insight from DNA. Does simply having them mean something or just the allele results? 

rs3184504 T/T

rs2187668 G/G

rs7454108 T/T

Doesn't look anything like my actual test for Celiac genes.  You might want to read more about 23 and me.  Not sure they look for the actual Celiac genes?  Not sure how it is now, but I think I remember when they came out they couldn't actually tell you medical things?  They were always a bit sketchy.

Thanks for your reply, kareng! Your 23 and me results don't really tell you much. However, you can download the raw data from there and use programs like prometheus to interpret it. I was interested in finding out if my data indicated a likelihood or possibility of celiac as I've never had any testing but am still a bit confused. Those SNP's are linked to celiac, and I have them, but I am unsure if simply having them means anything at all versus T/T, G/G, etc.

Do those numbers correspond to an actual gene?  

Having genes for Celiac don't mean much.  About 30% of people have at least 1 but only about 1% develope Celiac disease.

http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/faq/if-i-have-a-gene-for-celiac-disease-does-that-i-mean-i-have-it/

18 hours ago, jaxmini2 said:

I have the same gene.  From what I can tell, it is a non-HLA gene that has been found in people with celiac.  This confuses me because (from reading posts on this site) if you are HLA negative you can't have celiac.  Maybe there is a genetic counselor that can explain it???  Here is a link to more information.  https://www.snpedia.com/index.php/Rs3184504