Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease Read more... ×

Rate this topic

Hey guys. So I've been trying to incorporate cardio back into my exercise routine. I'm starting out slow only 2 times a week for about a 30/45 mins on top of getting about 8k steps a day. The other day I went to the gym and I realized later on I had accidentally ate something before my workout that had been processed in a factory with wheat... but that night I felt terrible and was in bed the rest of the day. I thought at first the workout just wiped me out but now I know. Today I'm going to the gym again but I feel soo tired. Do you think that if my body is still healing that maybe I shouldn't go or will it help? I really want to get into shape before graduation but I'm still so exhausted. I feel like I must be "glutenating" myself on a daily basis because my roommates are soooo messy. I love them but I gotta get out and have my own kitchen or a kitchen where people are careful. I don't have the time to constantly clean up their messes. So I feel like my question is it okay to start putting my body through the stress of working out? I feel like it should be okay because it's a healthy stress right? Thanks. 

They say you should not work out if your sick or dealing with such issues. I on the other hand do the opposite I will work out even if running a fever, I feel lost if I do not, and the endorphins help me feel fullfilled and relaxed......I have a few other issues as well >.> sitting still causes me to have mini panic attacks. I actually have to be on a stationary bike while on the computer lol. I swear it originates from being stuck in bed for days in the past unable to move, I fear being stuck unable to move my body like it used to sometimes. Got to admit the scariest thing in life is when your own body does not do what you want it to and it turns on you.

As for steps, etc....I personally do about 24-30k steps a day or 11-14miles, Most of it pacing lol, anyway everyone is different so I can not tell you what to do just my own exp. Make sure you eat plenty, drink plenty of water and tea, and supplement anything your body might need. I eat constantly throughout the day to keep me going and enough protein and fats that it seems like a body building diet. Be careful and do not push yourself too hard, if you start feeling dizzy, tired or odd lay down for 15-20mins for a power nap. I do this twice a day at least just out of habit.

22 minutes ago, KathleenH said:

Hey guys. So I've been trying to incorporate cardio back into my exercise routine. I'm starting out slow only 2 times a week for about a 30/45 mins on top of getting about 8k steps a day. The other day I went to the gym and I realized later on I had accidentally ate something before my workout that had been processed in a factory with wheat... but that night I felt terrible and was in bed the rest of the day. I thought at first the workout just wiped me out but now I know. Today I'm going to the gym again but I feel soo tired. Do you think that if my body is still healing that maybe I shouldn't go or will it help? I really want to get into shape before graduation but I'm still so exhausted. I feel like I must be "glutenating" myself on a daily basis because my roommates are soooo messy. I love them but I gotta get out and have my own kitchen or a kitchen where people are careful. I don't have the time to constantly clean up their messes. So I feel like my question is it okay to start putting my body through the stress of working out? I feel like it should be okay because it's a healthy stress right? Thanks. 

I work out regularly and I would say NO to working out if you have been glutened or are really tired.  You know what happens to people who work out when they are really fatigued?  They suffer injuries.  I was not well enough to work out until I had been gluten free for 4 years but I am much older than you so I doubt it will take 4 years for you.  Drop the work-outs for now and just go for walks outside when you feel better. The fatigue has to be better before you try to do gym work.  I know you didn't want to hear that but I don't want you to end up injured, on top of everything else.

Take care of yourself for now and let yourself heal!  :)

• Upvote 1

I workout, but with lighter weight than normal. I never go to failure. But being tired is not one my symptoms.

Listen to these wise people!  Believe me, I like exercising.  I am a very fit older lady!  But when sick, glutened, recovering from surgery or injury, I skip working out.  I stayed off my beloved bike for almost a year because of vertebrae fractures.  Instead I focused on first healing the fractures and then building up slowly.  

It is hard to be patient! Listen to your body!  Save your excess energy for studying.  ?

Thanks all. I took you advice and I just went for a walk instead of doing intense cardio. I'm feeling quite a bit better today but since it's friday I'm gonna rest it up also :)