Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease Read more... ×
1 1
Turner

Celiac disease or leaky gut syndrome

Rate this topic

Hi my name is Alison. I had a celiac panel done a year ago and it was negative but I still have leaky gut syndrom.  My iron level is down and I have a low Tsh or they say sensitive. I have a lot of cramping, gas, and bloating. I have no idea what to do as doctors in ontario will not help u. I am 45-46 years old. I also have acid reflux and asthma and I am currently doing immunotherapy for dust mites. I never truly feel good and I am tired alot. I thought if I eat healthier I would loose weight but it is not coming off. I even find that fruits and vegetables are causing alot of diahrea as well what is causing this. Is it the natural sugar in the fruit or something all together. 

Hi Alison and welcome :)

Few questions:

Did you have the full celiac blood panel?

Anti-Gliadin (AGA) IgA
Anti-Gliadin (AGA) IgG
Anti-Endomysial (EMA) IgA
Anti-Tissue Transglutaminase (tTG) IgA
Deamidated Gliadin Peptide (DGP) IgA and IgG
Total Serum IgA

Sometime only one or 2 of these markers are tested. If you have your results you could post them. Also were you eating gluten at the time and for weeks before? There's some more info and links on testing here and the forum faq here

Even with a negative test, gluten could still be the problem. I had all your symptoms, tested negative but am gluten free for life based on my reaction to the gluten challenge during testing. Have you heard of non celiac gluten sensitivity? If you've finished with diagnosis, then why not give the gluten free diet a try and see if it helps?

Hope this of help. Best of luck!