Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease Read more... ×
2 2
Scott Adams

Did a Misguided Gluten-free Diet Kill Belgian Infant?

Rate this topic

angel_belgian_flag--cc--dr_les_(leszek-l

After their seven-month-old baby died weighing less than 10 pounds, a mother and father in Beveren, Belgium, are standing trial on charges that they starved the child by negligently providing an alternative gluten-free diet, with no medical supervision.

The couple, who ran a natural food store, put their son Lucas on an alternative gluten-free, lactose-free diet, which included quinoa milk, despite doctors describing it as unsuitable for developing infants.

View the full article

Not the sort of thing I came here to read today....

I agree that this article is a scare tactic.  Looks like this child was starved to death. Note the article states the parents did not seek medical help. Millions of children and adults have food allergies and intolerance but do not have this happen. Following a medical diet is a healthy choice for quality and quantity of life. These types of articles have no value in this place of healing.

1 hour ago, pikakegirl said:

I agree that this article is a scare tactic.  Looks like this child was starved to death. Note the article states the parents did not seek medical help. Millions of children and adults have food allergies and intolerance but do not have this happen. Following a medical diet is a healthy choice for quality and quantity of life. These types of articles have no value in this place of healing.

I agree. Haven't been able to get this off my mind.

I wish they didn't use " gluten" as a headline.  People abuse and starve children for a variety of " reasons".  gluten-free was just one they picked, it could have been paleo or kosher or whatever...