Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Scott Adams

Did a Misguided Gluten-free Diet Kill Belgian Infant?

Rate this topic

angel_belgian_flag--cc--dr_les_(leszek-l

After their seven-month-old baby died weighing less than 10 pounds, a mother and father in Beveren, Belgium, are standing trial on charges that they starved the child by negligently providing an alternative gluten-free diet, with no medical supervision.

The couple, who ran a natural food store, put their son Lucas on an alternative gluten-free, lactose-free diet, which included quinoa milk, despite doctors describing it as unsuitable for developing infants.

View the full article

Scott Adams

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Founder Celiac.com

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I agree that this article is a scare tactic.  Looks like this child was starved to death. Note the article states the parents did not seek medical help. Millions of children and adults have food allergies and intolerance but do not have this happen. Following a medical diet is a healthy choice for quality and quantity of life. These types of articles have no value in this place of healing.

Join eNewsletter

1 hour ago, pikakegirl said:

I agree that this article is a scare tactic.  Looks like this child was starved to death. Note the article states the parents did not seek medical help. Millions of children and adults have food allergies and intolerance but do not have this happen. Following a medical diet is a healthy choice for quality and quantity of life. These types of articles have no value in this place of healing.

I agree. Haven't been able to get this off my mind.

Join eNewsletter