Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease Read more... ×
Jules22

Still trying to process-*DUPLICATE*

Rate this topic

My type 1 diabetic daughter has an appointment with the gastro next week but something I'm wrestling with in her test results

her immunoglobulin A was 78- lower than range which is 80- up

her transglutinminase TTG IGA was > 100

Is she immunoglobulin a deficient?  If she is, doesn't the deficiency only rule out negative results and since she is very much positive then she is definitely headed toward a celiac diagnosis?

Thanks!- I'm having a hard time waiting for this appointment 

Edited by Jules22
Duplicate

The IgA test,  when used for celiac testing,  just validates the celiac IgA type results.  Your daughter is just below range, but her celiac test result is valid -- positive.    Read more about an IgA deficiency which should be discussed with your doctor.  Many IGA deficient people have no symptoms at all, so do not be alarmed.  

http://primaryimmune.org/about-primary-immunodeficiencies/specific-disease-types/selective-iga-deficiency/

17 hours ago, cyclinglady said:

The IgA test,  when used for celiac testing,  just validates the celiac IgA type results.  Your daughter is just below range, but her celiac test result is valid -- positive.    Read more about an IgA deficiency which should be discussed with your doctor.  Many IGA deficient people have no symptoms at all, so do not be alarmed.  

http://primaryimmune.org/about-primary-immunodeficiencies/specific-disease-types/selective-iga-deficiency/

So she is IgA deficient?

1 minute ago, Jules22 said:

So she is IgA deficient?

It looks like a value of <7 constitutes a real deficiency according to that article so I guess she's not?  I should have gone to med school!

I am not a doctor, but I would think that she is not IgA deficient.  But discuss it with a professional who wears a white coat to set your mind at ease.