Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

• You've found your Celiac Tribe! Join our like-minded, private community and share your story, get encouragement and connect with others.

💬

• Sign In
Jules22

Still trying to process-*DUPLICATE*

Rate this topic

My type 1 diabetic daughter has an appointment with the gastro next week but something I'm wrestling with in her test results

her immunoglobulin A was 78- lower than range which is 80- up

her transglutinminase TTG IGA was > 100

Is she immunoglobulin a deficient?  If she is, doesn't the deficiency only rule out negative results and since she is very much positive then she is definitely headed toward a celiac diagnosis?

Thanks!- I'm having a hard time waiting for this appointment 

Edited by Jules22
Duplicate

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

The IgA test,  when used for celiac testing,  just validates the celiac IgA type results.  Your daughter is just below range, but her celiac test result is valid -- positive.    Read more about an IgA deficiency which should be discussed with your doctor.  Many IGA deficient people have no symptoms at all, so do not be alarmed.  

http://primaryimmune.org/about-primary-immunodeficiencies/specific-disease-types/selective-iga-deficiency/

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005

Diagnosed via Blood Test (DGP IgA only) and Endoscopy: March 2013

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis

Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013

Allergies and Food Intolerances

Repeat endoscopy/Biopsies: Healed

17 hours ago, cyclinglady said:

The IgA test,  when used for celiac testing,  just validates the celiac IgA type results.  Your daughter is just below range, but her celiac test result is valid -- positive.    Read more about an IgA deficiency which should be discussed with your doctor.  Many IGA deficient people have no symptoms at all, so do not be alarmed.  

http://primaryimmune.org/about-primary-immunodeficiencies/specific-disease-types/selective-iga-deficiency/

So she is IgA deficient?

1 minute ago, Jules22 said:

So she is IgA deficient?

It looks like a value of <7 constitutes a real deficiency according to that article so I guess she's not?  I should have gone to med school!

I am not a doctor, but I would think that she is not IgA deficient.  But discuss it with a professional who wears a white coat to set your mind at ease.  

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005

Diagnosed via Blood Test (DGP IgA only) and Endoscopy: March 2013

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis

Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013

Allergies and Food Intolerances

Repeat endoscopy/Biopsies: Healed