This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Help I've been contaminated!

Megan Marie

Megan Marie Newbie

Been diagnosed for almost 3 years, gluten free for almost 2. I'm looking for the best ways to help get gluten out of my system, Because I feel lik I've been contaminated. I know to drink plenty of water and/or teas and to sleep but I need something that'll get it out sooner than 3 months. And about the sleep, how am I supposed to sleep when I hav insomnia caused by celiacs disease. Ughh I need help, I was doing so well too and now I dread the next 3 months of being in constant pain, I don't miss this feeling at all. Will stool softeners work any? Will regular teas that are gluten free help? Will eating just potatoes for while help ease some of the pain, because I know it'll help not make me have to go to the bathroom so much for me idk bout y'all. Oh and does anyone else have the rash on their hands, I'm the first person my GI has ever seen with them, and do them come up in any other places?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Rhotitar Apprentice

Drinking glutamine helps me with reducing the time I spend with pain when I accidentally ingest gluten. That's the major symptom I get and it only lasts a few days. The other symptoms insomnia, migraines, constipation/runny bowl movements/mucus in stool only lasts about a day so can't comment on how I would handle that. Herpetiformis dermatitis occurs most commonly on the elbows, knees, buttocks, and hairline. 

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Sorry this has happened.  I find a couple things helpful when I have been glutened. If I have stomach pain I will take Pepto Bismal liquid. Intestinal pain for me is relieved once the D is over but before I was diagnosed I found a heating pad to sometimes help a bit. I also get joint and muscle pain so I take an anti-inflammatory like asprin or Aleve. Hot showers or baths can help with that discomfort also. Please don't eat just potatoes. Your body needs nutrients so maybe go with soups, plain meats or fish and well cooked veggies and fruits. Homemade applesauce is easy and can be soothing. Cream of Buckwheat is my go to for the day after a reaction. It is easy to digest and a good source of protien for cereal. Your rash could well be DH. I used to get outbreaks on the inner side of my fingers (as well as lots of other places). You may want to avoid using iodized salt until the reaction is over. It can keep the antibodies active. Do add it back in after the flare is done though as it is an essential nutrient.

I am sure others will chime in with other helpful ideas and I hope you are feeling better soon.

Ennis-TX Grand Master

Just got glutened myself this last weekend been awhile, I get like week or so long constipation after a the initial purge normally (the purge with D and vomiting did not occur this time) The constipation I find I just double my dosing of Magnesium Calm and my bowls go back to normal bowl movements, I would not suggest this straight off as most people are not as bad as mine if you have constipation I might suggest the product. It is by Natural Vitality, it is a magnesium citrate and can act as a laxative you need to start off at 1/4 tsp dose and work up over 1-2 weeks til you can have comfortable bowl movements.

Now I go to a liquid porridge low carb diet myself to deal with it also, makes it easy to digest, low carb will reduce gas, bloating, and inflammation til you get back in order. You can make really easy porridge out of coconut and almond flours, ground fax and almond milk works great with a bit of almond butter. I tend to add all kinds of extracts (I have over 20+ flavor extracts alone not counting my spice collection for changing ANY flavor I want) and change it up daily so the same easy mix can taste like anything imaginable without all the crap associated with it. (Check LorrAnn Oils for cheap gluten free extracts). I also find meal replacement shakes mixed in for hte added nutrients to be great.

Do not forget to take multivitamins, or a varied diet to get all your nutrients you need. You heal faster when your body gets everything. There is a Celiac Meal replacement shake I use as a added supplement. It contains a lot of ingredients that help ones stomach and intestines, along with all the varied nutrients you need, bonus is the nutrients from Pioneer labs version are not from the ground up plants/fruits/etc so intolerance issues are avoided.  Open Original Shared Link

I also have a few other issues that only go away with time like my numbness from a bit of a gluten ataxia issue...I just have to wait this part off for weeks to a month.

My anxiety and mental fog tend to clear up slowly over a week or so, I am still a tad scattered brained, but eating diet high in cocoa nibs, and taking my anxiety and mental supplements at a slightly higher dose helps, I also broke out the hemp meal, and CBD oil. ......oddly enough the randomness of my scatter brained mind keeps me amused, I think I have put random things out of place several times, like putting my phone in the fridge yesterday and somehow thinking putting pizza sauce in my cinnamon roll porridge this morning was a good idea....I think one thing and just sort of do it....Oh in the end that worked out good, reminded me of those pizza hut cinnamon sticks from my childhood.

cyclinglady Grand Master

Ugh!  I am so sorry!  Like you, a glutening for me can last for months.  Besides lots of fluids and rest, I eat stew (meats and veggies) and soup for breakfast, lunch and dinner.  It is nourishing and easy to digest.  I even  cook fruit (e.g. Baked apple).  Anything soft and mushy!  Because eating ANYTHING will hurt to digest for hours.  I get it!  

I cook a batch in the crockpot (on the patio in the summertime) and freeze small portions,  so that I always have it on hand.   Too sick to cook?  Ask a friend to prepare it for you in your home using your kitchenware.  

I read once the you could live a while on just potatoes and milk. One of those urban legends, if I recall.    But....that does not work if you become lactose intolerant during a celiac crisis.  ? Besides, it is not healthy long term.    Feel free to load up on more potatoes though while you are sick, if they do not bother you.  Don't forget to include sweet potatoes and hard (winter) squashes (pumpkin, butternut, delectica, acorn).  

I hope this passes faster for you.  

Megan Marie Newbie
12 hours ago, ravenwoodglass said:

Sorry this has happened.  I find a couple things helpful when I have been glutened. If I have stomach pain I will take Pepto Bismal liquid. Intestinal pain for me is relieved once the D is over but before I was diagnosed I found a heating pad to sometimes help a bit. I also get joint and muscle pain so I take an anti-inflammatory like asprin or Aleve. Hot showers or baths can help with that discomfort also. Please don't eat just potatoes. Your body needs nutrients so maybe go with soups, plain meats or fish and well cooked veggies and fruits. Homemade applesauce is easy and can be soothing. Cream of Buckwheat is my go to for the day after a reaction. It is easy to digest and a good source of protien for cereal. Your rash could well be DH. I used to get outbreaks on the inner side of my fingers (as well as lots of other places). You may want to avoid using iodized salt until the reaction is over. It can keep the antibodies active. Do add it back in after the flare is done though as it is an essential nutrient.

I am sure others will chime in with other helpful ideas and I hope you are feeling better soon.

I've actually had the rash for two years prior to being diagnosed. My GI says it may just be something I hav to live wth. But he does want me to see a dermatologist for them eventually.

Archived