This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Need your analysis

CeliacMan2112

CeliacMan2112 Rookie

Hello, wondering if you can please shed some light on my situation. I have been having diarrhea now for 5 weeks everyday. My doctor is on vacation right now however I went to Urgent Care and had a blood test done for celiac disease and  it appears to have come back positive; however since my doctor is on vacation I am unable to 100% confirm this. Here are my results please tell me what you think. I have included the three tests that I believe we need to look at. The E.S.R test is inflammation marker. What's weird is the result for celiac does not give me the actual number only that it's greater then > 160

Thanks for your effort.

1. transglutaminase iga ab -   

> 160(A)

2. IgA - 2.79 

3. E.S.R.  - 30

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cyclinglady Grand Master
28 minutes ago, CeliacMan2112 said:

Hello, wondering if you can please shed some light on my situation. I have been having diarrhea now for 5 weeks everyday. My doctor is on vacation right now however I went to Urgent Care and had a blood test done for celiac disease and  it appears to have come back positive; however since my doctor is on vacation I am unable to 100% confirm this. Here are my results please tell me what you think. I have included the three tests that I believe we need to look at. The E.S.R test is inflammation marker. What's weird is the result for celiac does not give me the actual number only that it's greater then > 160

Thanks for your effort.

1. transglutaminase iga ab -   

> 160(A)

2. IgA - 2.79 

3. E.S.R.  - 30

Welcome! 

I am not a doctor, but it appears that your TTG is “off the charts”.  Most likely celiac disease.  Keep eating gluten and get a referral to a GI.  The next step in confirming a diagnosis is to obtain intestinal biopsies via endoscopy.  The IgA test, in the case of celiac testing is just a control test.  Confirms that the TTG IgA test worked.  No range on the ESR test, but I assume it is elevated?  

In the meantime, consume 1/2 slice of bread or equivalent per day.  Many celiacs suffer from a temporary lactose intolerance, so cut out dairy or take lactose and that may reduce your current symptoms.  

Learn more:

Open Original Shared Link

CeliacMan2112 Rookie

Hello thanks for your response. My ESR test result of 30 is above the normal range of 0-20. In regards to the gastrologist, it's going to be a while before I can get in and see one since there is a backlog of referrals. For now I'm going to assume I'm full blown celiac and start a gluten-free diet. I have to do that now because I'm having diarrhea every day and it's starting to become a very big issue. It's affecting my quality of life big time. 

My next question is how long will it be before I see an improvement in my diarrhea symptoms after starting the gluten-free diet?

cyclinglady Grand Master

Okay.   Keep keep in mind that you will have to go back on gluten for the endoscopy 2 to 4 weeks prior.  Consider investigating the possibility of a cancellation.  

Healing?  It can take a few weeks, months or years depending on collateral damage while learning the gluten free diet.  Because you have diarrhea, I would recommend ditching dairy and sticking to Whole Foods you prepare yourself.  Do not go out to eat until you feel better and can take the risk.  Eat meats, rice, veggies and fruit.  I found that stews and soups — anything mushy can be easer to digest until you see some healing.  Those are my “go-to” Foods when I take a hit because eating ANYTHING can hurt!  If you are lucky, dairy will not be an issue for you.  Expect some additional food intolerances until you heal (very common).  

Take care!  Read the Newbie 101 thread located under the  “Coping” section of the forum.   You should see some improvement hopefully within a few weeks.  

Ennis-TX Grand Master

Ditto on the above advice, ditch the dairy and oats. Go whole foods only, and keep a food diary. Many find other food intolerance issues arise, and have to remove other foods for a while. I turn to soft omelettes often, 2 parts eggs, 1 part nut milk, few tbsp of seed meal or nut meal, blend it up for a base (Personally go 220g egg whites, 100g nut milk, 2tbsp coconut flour, 2tbsp nutritional yeast, and 2tbsp ground flax/chia/almond to add fats and fiber) throw in chopped fresh veggies and cook it up as a super soft/fluffy omelette/quiche. or scramble it....some more flour and flax makes a grea waffle batter lol. I also do veggie stir fries, nut meal porridge, and soups https://www.celiac.com/forums/topic/91878-newbie-info-101/
https://www.celiac.com/forums/topic/120402-gluten-free-food-alternative-list-2018-q1/

CeliacMan2112 Rookie

Thanks again to all your responses. Take care 

Archived