This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Seeing campus NP in a few days....

fletcher96

fletcher96 Explorer

I know you're supposed to keep eating gluten until you get tested. But I didn't eat gluten today. I'm terrified. My symptoms have been getting exponentially worse, especially within the past few years. PAIN has set in all over my body these past could weeks! It is now almost all the time as of several days ago. I will most likely be getting tested next week. Should I seriously continue to eat gluten? That's like self-harm! Plus, it's only a week. I also keep hearing that lots of times people with celiac don't even get a positive result. I had an anxiety attack today because I have dozens of symptoms leading to celiac and vitamin deficiencies. It's driving me crazy dealing with them all.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cyclinglady Grand Master
1 hour ago, fletcher96 said:

I know you're supposed to keep eating gluten until you get tested. But I didn't eat gluten today. I'm terrified. My symptoms have been getting exponentially worse, especially within the past few years. PAIN has set in all over my body these past could weeks! It is now almost all the time as of several days ago. I will most likely be getting tested next week. Should I seriously continue to eat gluten? That's like self-harm! Plus, it's only a week. I also keep hearing that lots of times people with celiac don't even get a positive result. I had an anxiety attack today because I have dozens of symptoms leading to celiac and vitamin deficiencies. It's driving me crazy dealing with them all.

If you are serious about getting a celiac disease diagnosis, you should remain on gluten.  Why?  Celiac Disease diagnostic tests  require that you be on a full gluten diet.  Testing can be important because too many other illnesses share “like” symptoms (e.g. vitamin deficiencies could be many things like Crohn’s or poor diet (lots of junk food).  

Open Original Shared Link

Please talk to a medical professional about your anxiety.  It can be dangerous to self-diagnose unless you have a decade or more of medical training.  The Internet can be useful, but also scary if information is misinterpreted. 

Take care!  

fletcher96 Explorer

I'm not diagnosing myself with anything.... But if I think I have celiac disease based off peer-reviewed research, then I think I have a right to hypothesize. I know me better than anyone else. I've had medical "professionals" diagnose me for things I never had just to make money off of selling me pills, giving me more tests, etc. They're not God. It's really not that hard. Doctors practice medicine. They test for this and that based off their guesses. Sometimes their guesses are right, sometimes they're wrong. Doctors tell you not to look up your symptoms because otherwise they'd be out of a job. I've been treated for symptoms all my life. Now I must take it upon myself to find the cause. Let's say I do have celiac. What is my prescription? Cut out gluten. So, no more pills for acid reflux, ulcers that keep coming back, pain meds for migraines, etc. I won't need doctors anymore for these recurring problems. See how that works? I had a panic attack because pain, brain fog, etc. are overwhelming, especially when I'm trying to do homework and can't think straight. I know how to handle my own anxiety. I don't need to shell out money to a shrink with a 4-year psych degree to "help" with that. I'm not sure how research can be misinterpreted if it's stated plain as day. I've spent the past 4 years of college looking at research articles. I guess I'll just continue not eating gluten for the next two days. The blood work will be done at another date, anyway. We'll see what she tells me to do.

cyclinglady Grand Master

I sincerely hope you feel better soon.  Let us know if you have any questions about the gluten free diet.  

My own hubby went Gluten Free long before my diagnosis.  He did get well and refuses to go back on gluten in order to get a formal diagnosis.  However, he will tell you that I have had way more support from family, friends and medical.  So, it is one reason I push for testing before trialing the gluten-free diet if possible.  Another reason is my niece who is your age.  I thought for sure she had celiac disease.  She does not, she has Crohn’s instead.  ?

Take care!  

fletcher96 Explorer
19 hours ago, cyclinglady said:

I sincerely hope you feel better soon.  Let us know if you have any questions about the gluten free diet.  

My own hubby went Gluten Free long before my diagnosis.  He did get well and refuses to go back on gluten in order to get a formal diagnosis.  However, he will tell you that I have had way more support from family, friends and medical.  So, it is one reason I push for testing before trialing the gluten-free diet if possible.  Another reason is my niece who is your age.  I thought for sure she had celiac disease.  She does not, she has Crohn’s instead.  ?

Take care!  

Thank you, I am seeing a doctor tomorrow as well as the NP. I'll let you know what happens. I almost went to urgent care today because of my heart. I'm sorry about your niece....

Archived