This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Test Results...Please Help

fletcher96

fletcher96 Explorer

Hi, so I have attached my test results. I just realized she didn't tell me to stop taking my supplements before the test. I was on 1000 mcg of B12, a women's daily vitamin, biotin supplement, and potassium supplement per day for about 2-3 weeks before the test. I took these supplements the day of the test and had eaten cereal, almond milk, and half a hamburger bun (long story). I had been cutting back on gluten for one month. I had been 95% gluten-free for 2 weeks. Could these results be inaccurate? My ferritin levels were 29 last year when I suspected I was anemic. Range was 13-150. I also was not fasting that day, either. I was also on Depo recently. My calcium levels were normal. But again, what did the multi vitamin have to do with that? Could I still be anemic or have celiac or...? How much did those vitamins interfere with my results?

The Results.docx

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cyclinglady Grand Master

I am not a doctor, but there is not an issue with your vitamin levels based on the tests you posted.    You are taking supplements that you probably do not need.  You can decide to 1) save money and stop taking them provided that you are eating a well-balance diet, or 2) continue to take them because they just make you feel better (placebo effect) or if you continue to pursue a vegan diet.

Ferrtin levels are just iron stores.  They can drop after you have a period and normally build right back up again.   Some people do not have high ferritin levels ever.  Your ferritin level  is  in range.  Mine was  a 2 when I was diagnosed with celiac disease.  It was one clue that I had iron-deficiency anemia.  The main clue was a very low hemoglobin where the doctors were asking me if I wanted a blood transfusion.  Your hemoglobin is mid-range normal.  You do not have anemia in my non-medical opinion.   You do not need to fast for a ferritin test.   

Taking vitamin supplements would not impact celiac disease testing which measures antibodies.  Doctors often order tests to see if anything is abnormal.  Everything you have posted has been normal.  So normal that your doctors are not concerned.  They have lots of medical experience.  They know how to interpret basic blood tests.  

If you want, continue the gluten free diet, avoid lactose and nuts for six months and then see if you feel better.  You will know if the diet is working.   You can also listen to the NP who suggested that if you want to pursue a celiac disease diagnosis, to consult with a GI.  

I wish you well.  

fletcher96 Explorer
4 minutes ago, cyclinglady said:

I am not a doctor, but there is not an issue with your vitamin levels based on the tests you posted.    You are taking supplements that you probably do not need.  You can decide to 1) save money and stop taking them provided that you are eating a well-balance diet, or 2) continue to take them because they just make you feel better (placebo effect) or if you continue to pursue a vegan diet.

Ferrtin levels are just iron stores.  They can drop after you have a period and normally build right back up again.   Some people do not have high ferritin levels ever.  Your ferritin level  is  in range.  Mine was  a 2 when I was diagnosed with celiac disease.  It was one clue that I had iron-deficiency anemia.  The main clue was a very low hemoglobin where the doctors were asking me if I wanted a blood transfusion.  Your hemoglobin is mid-range normal.  You do not have anemia in my non-medical opinion.   You do not need to fast for a ferritin test.   

Taking vitamin supplements would not impact celiac disease testing which measures antibodies.  Doctors often order tests to see if anything is abnormal.  Everything you have posted has been normal.  So normal that your doctors are not concerned.  They have lots of medical experience.  They know how to interpret basic blood tests.  

If you want, continue the gluten free diet, avoid lactose and nuts for six months and then see if you feel better.  You will know if the diet is working.   You can also listen to the NP who suggested that if you want to pursue a celiac disease diagnosis, to consult with a GI.  

I wish you well.  

Ok. 2 weeks without gluten and a month cutting back on it produced a negative result. Let's say I don't have celiac, which I'm leaning toward I don't (in which case, I wouldn't be salty if you deleted my account, but I would appreciate it if you kept this post up for at least a few days first.). But I have every single symptom of anemia, B12 or iron. The supplements impacted my B12 (1400) and potassium levels for sure, since I was low in potassium in October. Everywhere I look leads to anemia. I also read long-term use of H2 blockers and antacids for acid reflux can lead to B12 problems. Moreover, this one woman online had a ferritin level of 29, too. A year or two later they checked her, and she was at 9. She was upset the doctors didn't catch the problem when she was at 29.

The doctors aren't concerned because they think I have psychological issues because I've already been labeled with PTSD. This is not psychological. I've read physical effects of PTSD, and I've read about psychosomatic symptoms. This is not it. For both tests, I was taking supplements the day of and eating food. The calcium levels are questionable too, since I was on Depo Provera, which causes bone loss and osteopenia. The only tooth I ever broke (I didn't even notice when it happened) was about 3 months ago. I also fractured my finger, the second bone break in my life, in this time.

They have lots of medical experience, yes. But look at all the people on this forum who have taken years to get a diagnosis, for example. They practice medicine. They test and test and test until they get it right. That's what I'm doing. I was extensively treated and released for PTSD after my therapist thought I was good to go. I know the symptoms of PTSD, and I don't have most of them anymore.

cyclinglady Grand Master

I am not discounting your symptoms at all.  It is just that your lab tests do not match up for things like anemia, b-12 deficiency or low iron stores.  Celiac disease has over 200 symptoms attributed to it.  The problem is that many symptoms for autoimmune diseases often overlap.  Fortunately, there are antibodies testing and biopsies which can diagnose celiac disease.  If you are looking for a diagnosis, consult with a GI.  He may order a gluten challenge since you have been gluten light for a month and gluten  free for two weeks.  He can order the complete celiac blood panel or an endoscopy to look for villi damage.  A bone scan can determine if you have had bone loss.  He can order that as well.  

Learn more about a challenge which should be done under a doctor’s care as many celiacs or NCGS, can experience adverse effects going back on gluten.  

Open Original Shared Link

You are so young to have so many problems.   I sincerely hope you find a doctor who can help you identify the root cause of your symptoms whether it turns out to be celiac disease or not.  Good health is everything!  

Ennis-TX Grand Master
8 hours ago, fletcher96 said:

Ok. 2 weeks without gluten and a month cutting back on it produced a negative result. Let's say I don't have celiac, which I'm leaning toward I don't (in which case, I wouldn't be salty if you deleted my account, but I would appreciate it if you kept this post up for at least a few days first.). But I have every single symptom of anemia, B12 or iron. The supplements impacted my B12 (1400) and potassium levels for sure, since I was low in potassium in October. Everywhere I look leads to anemia. I also read long-term use of H2 blockers and antacids for acid reflux can lead to B12 problems. Moreover, this one woman online had a ferritin level of 29, too. A year or two later they checked her, and she was at 9. She was upset the doctors didn't catch the problem when she was at 29.

The doctors aren't concerned because they think I have psychological issues because I've already been labeled with PTSD. This is not psychological. I've read physical effects of PTSD, and I've read about psychosomatic symptoms. This is not it. For both tests, I was taking supplements the day of and eating food. The calcium levels are questionable too, since I was on Depo Provera, which causes bone loss and osteopenia. The only tooth I ever broke (I didn't even notice when it happened) was about 3 months ago. I also fractured my finger, the second bone break in my life, in this time.

They have lots of medical experience, yes. But look at all the people on this forum who have taken years to get a diagnosis, for example. They practice medicine. They test and test and test until they get it right. That's what I'm doing. I was extensively treated and released for PTSD after my therapist thought I was good to go. I know the symptoms of PTSD, and I don't have most of them anymore.

If you show signs of improvement off of gluten and test negative for celiac....you probably have NCGS. We have members that can attest to the fact that even with just NCGS gluten has a MAJOR effect on the brain, in some cases reported worse then someone with celiac disease.

B-vitamins...avoid taking just b-12 you need to take the full spectrum together. You will not feel the full benefits just taking b-12 as it works syenergistically with many of the others. I use Liquid Health Stress & Energy along with the Neurological support, not caffeine so no jitters and it is liquid form. Works wonders with stress in combination with my other regimes (tons of seeds and cocoa nibs to promote many "feel good" compounds in the body....I just roll with life and do not stress)

Anemia, was on iron pills but obvious gut issues after prolonged use. I went to using high iron foods like pea protein, and seed protein powder and taking a vitamin C supplement. You really do have to take Vitamin C with Iron to absorb and store it properly. Also, if you train, walk, bike, weight lift, or stress daily your depleting your stores constantly and have to eat high iron foods all the time but will never really build up much store wise. At least from my experience.

fletcher96 Explorer

The ferratin level of 29 from last year was in "normal range." It was not optimal, though. Doctors and nurse practitioners are taught to look at normal levels; however, normal does not mean optimal. I am really curious to know what my ferratin levels are now, a year later.

The doctor and NP weren't concerned because I was wasting their time. I am smart. I brought in too many graphs and analyses. They do not like that because it compromises their false sense of godliness. Not all, but some, like the ones I encountered. There are plenty of bad doctors today because they are motivated by money and opportunity costs. They have spent time learning about health, medicine etc., yes. But I have spent a LOT more time on my own health than they have.

This appears to be leaky gut, most likely caused by an ulcer I had when I was 16. I lost weight when I was 20. That winter the cold set in. After that, the rest of the symptoms set in. Acid reflux is the biggest sign. It was the first symptom to show up.

If we continue to see doctors as gods, we will continue to see more bad doctors getting away with bad things. Look at the doctor who sexually assaulted more than a hundred underage gymnasts who was just thrown in prison. He molested those girls while their parents were in the room sometimes and assured everyone that this was just "standard procedure." When people treat doctors like gods, they let nerdy men in white coats molest their daughters. The patient's health is not always of interest. We live in a capitalist economy. It is ALL about money. Going to med school does not mean you pass a special test on morals or ethics. Health is a subject just like history and politics are subjects. Doctors do trial and error all the time. There has already been significant impacts on the healthcare system as a result of patients educating themselves. Doctors and NPs hate those patients. I am getting my undergrad right now, and I know two people in med school. One abuses Adderall, and the other smokes pot daily. They both get excellent grades and will graduate and become doctors. They are not good men, as I have dated both of them. One was even borderline abusive. There are so many issues with western medicine that other countries laugh at us. The mind is part of the body, first of all. Second, what did all those NSAIDs I was told to take for my migraines, antibiotics, and H2 blockers do to my gut? A heck of a lot, evidently. There is so much corruption with the American healthcare system and its medical professionals.

fletcher96 Explorer

The B12 levels were obviously not accurate in determining if I have B12 deficiency if I took supplements that day.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

fletcher96 Explorer
15 hours ago, Ennis_TX said:

If you show signs of improvement off of gluten and test negative for celiac....you probably have NCGS. We have members that can attest to the fact that even with just NCGS gluten has a MAJOR effect on the brain, in some cases reported worse then someone with celiac disease.

B-vitamins...avoid taking just b-12 you need to take the full spectrum together. You will not feel the full benefits just taking b-12 as it works syenergistically with many of the others. I use Liquid Health Stress & Energy along with the Neurological support, not caffeine so no jitters and it is liquid form. Works wonders with stress in combination with my other regimes (tons of seeds and cocoa nibs to promote many "feel good" compounds in the body....I just roll with life and do not stress)

Anemia, was on iron pills but obvious gut issues after prolonged use. I went to using high iron foods like pea protein, and seed protein powder and taking a vitamin C supplement. You really do have to take Vitamin C with Iron to absorb and store it properly. Also, if you train, walk, bike, weight lift, or stress daily your depleting your stores constantly and have to eat high iron foods all the time but will never really build up much store wise. At least from my experience.

I have to agree with you that I have NCGS. I've been using vitamin water, but nothing happens. No matter what I do, I'm foggy and tired. Even Monsters don't work like they used to. Thank you for the advice! This is definitely deficiency, which is different than anemia, but I'll still have to get rechecked while I'm off supplements. I'm seeing a new doctor hopefully this week. My mom is getting very worried with how I look. She's coming with me to help. I feel like people like to pick on and walk all over small people. I stopped overeating (2500 calories). I just can't keep it up anymore when it's only maintaining my weight at 102 pounds. I'm now 99 pounds, 5'2" (2000 calories). I'm sick of people (including doctors and NPs) assuming I'm anorexic and not believing me when I tell them I'm not. It's absolutely disgusting, insulting, and unprofessional, especially since I have given them the open opportunity to talk to my mom on the phone who can verify I eat like I'm starving.

Archived