This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Help with gluten free bread in a bread machine

Richardmc

Richardmc Newbie

We have recently purchased a new bread machine and the recipe we had used in our old machine doesn't give such good results now. Attached is a photo of the results but it seems the bread isn't rising quite enough. It is almost there but not quite.

We're mixing the dry ingredients first.

We're using tepid water.

We're following the ingredients on the packet and adding a bit of Xantam gum too.

We use the bread mix from Schar as it is the only one available where we live.

Any hints would be much appreciated. Thanks, Richard

bread.webp

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GFinDC Veteran

Ok, bake the bread, throw it in the trash, and eat the bread machine.  :)

Hopefully someone with some helpful advice will show up soon.  I gave up bread baking years ago.  Ennis_tx has some bread recipes he makes.

Ennis-TX Grand Master

I honestly use a grain free quick bread in my bakery, we gave up grains completely. But I will lend you some advice.

First off, give up bread for a few months if your first going gluten free, you have ot forget the bread taste and get new standards.

Next few tips with gluten free breads,
Gluten breads use the the gluten "glue" to give it that doughy texture and hold the shape.
In gluten free breads we use gums xantham or guar in 1/4-1tsp, psyliumm husk 1-2tbsp or konjac 1/2-1tsp per full size loaf  to hold shape
And the flour starches for structure, in the case of nut based breads the harder structures and large amounts of egg whites do this.
A leavening agent either yeast, baking powder, or a baking soda and vinegar combo, to give air bubbles and rise. OK now lets trouble shoot

IF your bread rises initially then collapse you probably do not have enough binder, or something to act as the lattice/framing of your bread house. Considering your using a mix it should have that starchy (diabetic carb bomb) already in it and you might need to adjust your binder or cooking times. Try upping the gum by 1/4 tsp at a time, I use psyllum husk (1-2tbsp) myself but xantham gum makes a lighter bread, even if it makes me sick personally I got to admit this.  PS if you have issues with xantham you can try guar gum as a direct trade off, many get sick from xantham as it is grown from a mold lattice on either corn, broccoli, or wheat.

If your bread fails to rise at all, then your issue is likely not enough leavening try adding a extra 1/2 tsp baking soda and 1tsp apple cider vinegar to see if this helps, or even doubling that for a proof of concept. The leavening it could also be due to either your yeast being old OR climate. My bakery will not bake during a thunderstorm or high barometric pressure as our gluten free goods are more sensitive to this and the tops always invert during bad weather.

Other things to consider might be your machine and temperature/timing. It might not be suited for your gluten-free breads...Honestly as a baker for years, I can tell you gluten free breads are the most finicy thing your going to work with. Few grams off of water, a few mins off of timing, etc. and it can be too moist, a dry brick, pile of mush,  or powdery mess. Try the mix traditionally by hand per instructions to rule out the machine. Also invest in a scale.....it will save you tons in the future as you can have a 7-20 gram difference in some flours scooping.

fantasticalice Explorer

What a wonderful answer! Yes to all of it, I just had to log in to tell the above person they rock!! 

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online (within 30 mins)

Suzi374
    Newest Member
    Suzi374
  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A20):

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
      1m

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A22):

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A21):

• Upcoming Events

• trents
      Was a biopsy done when you had your gastroscopy? Concerning your anemia, are you B12 deficient? It's nearly impossible to get sufficient B12 if you are a vegetarian unless you take supplements.
    • Suzi374
      And I’m anaemic, however I’m also female and vegetarian. I had an iron trans a couple of years ago however it’s starting to dwindle and taking supplements doesn’t seem to work. I can’t seem to absorb it. 
    • Suzi374
      Hi, I attended a neurologist appt last Tuesday, which I nearly cancelled, due to ongoing numbness and tingling in toes to mid foot. One of the first things he asked was ‘are you celiac’. I’m not. He thought all reflexes were ok but at the last minute decided on nerve conduction tests which were low normal. He was a little confused as he felt they should be better and tried a new set of probs, all the time, giving me multiple shocks which were not enjoyable lol. Anyway, he’s now ordered tests for myeloma, and all the vitaminy things that so many of you mention on here, also tests looking for autoimmune responses. I already have Hashimotos. Interestingly, to me, but maybe someone out there can relate or knows more than i do, although I was a nurse, but ED not ‘weird symptoms’  nurse. Anyway back to the interesting thing, I took duramine in 2013 to lose weight which caused a massive panic attack when I stopped taking it and half my hair fell out. I only took it for a week but it was horrible and I regret it. It triggered ongoing panic attacks which are horrendous. So I feel like I’m a bit crazy. Then in 2020 I had this sudden onset of horrible pain when trying to eat a cinnamon roll. It continued and I lost around 20 kgs. I had two gastroscopes and a colonoscopy and they were all normal. I scored a barium swallow and CT angiogram. All normal. The pain subsided a little but I was left with reflux and an awful feeling that I couldn’t get air when I ate some foods. This was not anxiety.  The anxiety was separate and I still maintain this. This was something to do with eating. It was like the air was thick but I wasn’t short of breath. I just had the sensation I was, then it triggered anxiety. Anyway, I had other weird things- couldn’t bend knees to shave legs in shower lol. Knees felt stiff and swollen but they weren’t. Knee WOUld swell up randomly but mri showed minimal issues. A bit of a meniscus degeneration but insignificant. Then the buzzing sensations in my head, the feeling like someone was stabbing me with something sharp. So now, I pre empted his tests, although I don’t think I’m celiac because it should have come up on gastroscopy, I’ve gone off gluten. Since Tuesday last week so 9 days. Since then I don’t appear to be as constipated, I realised I got through today without a nap and I’m not tired, maybe it’s just today and not related but I get very tired normally and sleep straight after work often, I can bend my knees and shave my legs lol, the buzzing vibrating has gone from my head, I had to call and ambulance as my heart decided we were off on a run, but we weren’t running and I’ve been a bit twitchy at bed time when trying to sleep, reflux is improving, I did get the weird suffocating feeling a bit when eating today but not as bad normall. Tingling and numbness still present and I felt like it moved up my legs a bit today but I’m a bit jittery. So I don’t know if it’s celiac disease or a gluten intolerance but I think, and it may be wishful thinking because my symptoms do make life a bit challenging, but maybe I’m feeling better. I don’t feel as cloudy. My thinking feels crisper. Like there’s no buzzing and I’m not fighting to break through the cloudiness now. I hope so much that this may help me feel a bit better moving forward. It would be a miracle as I really have struggled to work and parent and keep the house clean and I’m always anxious and exhausted.  If you get this far, please tell me if you you can relate to any of the above. Oh and tonsils out 5 years ago but before that antibiotics multiple times a year, sometimes intramuscular because they were so bad.  Op was meant to take 30 mins, it took 1.5 hours due to size of them. 
    • Peace lily
      Im still not gaining weight I’m on a gluten free diet . And still having issues with constapation started priobiocs figured it would help been over two weeks . I guess it’s going to be a long road for me .
    • Smith-Ronald
      Enlarged lymph nodes in neck and groin with celiac are not uncommon. They can take time to reduce even after going gluten-free. Monitoring is key.