This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Living with Celiac for over 25 years atleast without knowing....

NavAhmad

NavAhmad Newbie

Hi,

I have recently been diagnosed with Celiac, just 5 months ago. I was living with Celiac, undiagnosed, through out my life which has resulted in server mineral deficiency, including iron and with low iron, I always ran low in blood.

After going gluten-free my vitals have changes significantly and I have gained some weight as well. But at the same time, now I can't have eggs any more. They have started to give me sever stomach ache and bloating. Eggs were my super favourite, will I be able to have them again in my diet?

Just wondering is there anyone else, living with undiagnosed Celiac for such a long time and changed his/her diet altogether after the diagnoses. What else one could expect in this situation?

Sometimes I feel a bit depressed, just for the fact, that I don't what's coming next..

Best regards,

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

squirmingitch Veteran

Odds are that you will be able to eat eggs again at some point. We do tend (or can) develop "other food intolerances". Most times, we get those foods back. You may have to stay off that food 6 months or even a year. Keep a food log. Sometimes you will find out that the food you thought was bothering you was, in fact, not the culprit.

Awol cast iron stomach Experienced

I had lost several foods 13 at one time including some nightshades during 2 1/2 - 3 years of recovery.

I still can not have corn or corn dervatives, xathan gum, cow's milk. I am 2 weeks from my 3 year mark since scopes. 

I got back many foods in time potato, rice, tomato, pepper, pineapple, citrus, celery that I lost etc to food intolerance. I occasionally have sheep's cheese or homemade vegan nut based cheese as an alternative to cow cheese.

I slowly introduced my intolerant foods back in. I felt a real shift at 2 years and 4 month mark. For me I used certain symptoms to know when I still had issues. If I got back pain due to inflammation in my connective tissue in my back or my joints hurt I could not have it. My back connective tissue inflammation and  fingers, hands, ankle, feet edema/inflammation are what my doctor helped me identify as my early symptoms when she asked me to report some of my symptoms early on.

Recently I tried to introduce Heinz low sugar ketchup instead of my homemade version and my body said no. I got a rash flare and connective tissue inflammation, I then picked up a germ at work and well a pretty cranky immune system now until things settle down. Guessing 2 months .

Why I can't have Heinz when I could before my gluten challenge ? no idea. Back to no ketchup or homemade only. As many on here say we in time get most foods back especially the whole foods ones. 

My immune system still requires me to make my own almond milk, my own condiment's, and my own bread or baked goods. It dislikes processed versions of many gluten-free foods . I am able to now have quiona, chickpea pasta, and rice noodles which 2 years ago I could not.

I know it's frustrating. You are not alone. Your body will guide you and you will learn to listen and trust it to guide you on this new lifestyle path.

I have learned many new recipes over the years. My daughter loves my homeade vegan Mac and cheese better than anything out of a box. She asks for it and is always excited to have it. 

We lose some, grieve, mourn, and then find a few more foods and recipes to add to the rotation. Who knew before celiac how good roasted radishes tasted I only ate them raw before. ?

Good luck and healthy healing.