Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

Fourgifts

Newly diagnosed daughter-product support

Rate this topic

My daughter just diagnosed 

wasnt able to get into celiac clinic or meet with providers until October she is sick and trying to be careful

do her need separate dishes? Separate sponges? Does mouthwash and toothpaste need be gluten free ( I buy Colgate)

ehat about store brands

the gluten free app says “ no gluten containing ingredients” what does this mean? I see it on canned fruit veggies manwhich sauces and jellies to name a fre

so overwhelmed 

not everyhing is labeled does that mean not safe?

guidance and support appreciated 

thank you

30 minutes ago, Fourgifts said:

wasnt able to get into celiac clinic or meet with providers until October she is sick and trying to be careful

do her need separate dishes? Separate sponges? Does mouthwash and toothpaste need be gluten free ( I buy Colgate)

ehat about store brands

the gluten free app says “ no gluten containing ingredients” what does this mean? I see it on canned fruit veggies manwhich sauces and jellies to name a fre

so overwhelmed 

not everyhing is labeled does that mean not safe?

thank you

It’s getting late for me so a couple of things- 

first- don’t panic!  You won’t kill her if you don’t get it right the first few months.

second, use some common sense.  

Also, in the US, all labels will call out wheat in the ingredient section. Rye isn’t in much of anything but bread and crackers and it will be listed as an ingredient.  Barley is an ingredient, it will be listed but it might say “ malt vinegar”. Or “ malt flavor”.  Usually it will say barley malt.  

My oven timer is going off and Hub wants dinner.  I’ll check back tomorrow 

Read this Newbie 101 and follow the links contained in the threads too. It will pretty much answer all your questions. It will tell you about what to replace in your kitchen & how to read labels etc......

I use Colgate or Crest toothpaste & mouthwashes as well. I have not seen any toothpaste or mouthwash that contained gluten. Think about it this way... wheat is 1 of the top 8 allergens. Would toothpaste manufacturers risk having 1 of the top 8 allergens in their product? Especially with allergens because people can have anaphylactic reactions to allergens. 

Read the thread Squirmy linked above.  Maybe check out the what’s for dinner thread- just to see that we eat all kinds of food.  You don’t have to read all 9000 posts!  😃

Then come back here with questions.  But like I said, you don’t have to be perfect the first week.  And it really gets easier after about 6 months or so.  You stop questioning every product in your house because you start to know which standard ones are always OK.  

Start simple - basic foods like meat and fruit and maybe a gluten-free cookie.  

20 hours ago, Fourgifts said:

wasn't able to get into celiac clinic or meet with providers until October she is sick and trying to be careful

do she need separate dishes? Separate sponges? Does mouthwash and toothpaste need be gluten free ( I buy Colgate)

No, dishes are fine if they washed clean.  The thing to watch out for is scratched plastic dishware or scratched pots colanders etc where it can be hard to thoroughly clean the surface.

Sponges are not a problem was long you rinse the item carefully.

Yes, mouthwash and toothpaste need to be gluten-free.

What about store brands

You need to get only gluten-free items for her.

the gluten free app says “ no gluten containing ingredients” what does this mean? I see it on canned fruit veggies manwhich sauces and jellies to name a few

I don't use that app myself, so can't say for sure.  Usually I would consider an item with that labeling to be gluten-free though. 

so overwhelmed 

it gets easier with time.

not everything is labeled does that mean not safe?

No, oranges are naturally gluten-free and apples and grapes and many other foods.

Gluten is anything with wheat, rye or barley in it.  That includes malt and barley malt.  For 10% or so of us oats are also a problem and need to be avoided.  The simplest way to get started gluten-free is to not eat processed foods.  Instead eat whole foods like, meats, nuts, veggies, and eggs.  This save a lot of time and worry by not having to read ingredients.  An orange or banana is gluten-free and any other whole food without added gluten also.  Gluten is found in many processed foods though.  Keeping off dairy for a few months can be helpful for faster healing.  Celiac damages the ability to digest dairy sugar (lactose).  After healing dairy may not be a problem.

thank you

Edited by GFinDC
spelling