This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Biopsy Questions - How Bad Is It?

roses8

roses8 Newbie

Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if some of you that have had biopsy could share your experiences.

After the anesthetic wore off did it hurt? Did anyone have any adverse reactions? Do you have to take antibiotics to avoid infection? What about pain medication?

Is it the equivilant of say, having a root canal? (or is not so bad ?)

How soon afterward did you feel better again?

If you've had a biopsy, could you share your experience ?

Thanks again,

Rose

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Rachel--24 Collaborator
Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if some of you that have had biopsy could share your experiences.

After the anesthetic wore off did it hurt? Did anyone have any adverse reactions? Do you have to take antibiotics to avoid infection? What about pain medication?

Is it the equivilant of say, having a root canal? (or is not so bad ?)

How soon afterward did you feel better again?

If you've had a biopsy, could you share your experience ?

Thanks again,

Rose

There is really no pain at all during or after the biopsy. Some people experience a sore throat at the most. I felt nothing. There are no antibiotics or pain meds needed. A root canal is FAR worse. I would have the biopsy again without hesitation. I felt really relaxed afterwards but I was a bit loopy from the anesthetic. When I woke up after the procedure I just felt like I'd had a good nap....there was no pain. In my opinion a tooth cleaning at the dentist is worse.

Oh....I forgot. There was one bad part for me which was when they stuck the needle for the IV in me. I hate needles and even though I've been poked a million times since I got sick I still get freaked out by it.

floridanative Community Regular

roses8 - if I were you I'd make sure and tell the doctor that you don't want to be conscious in any way during the procedure. I thought mine understood this before I went to the hospital but the nurses told me I needed to tell him very strongly I wanted to be put to sleep as he (ex-doctor) didn't like to fully sedate people. Well he gave me only conscious sedation which was the worst thing I've ever experienced. I was awake but paralyzed. It was awful as I could see the scopes going in my mouth and coming out but I could not move - which of course I should not be moving anyway. I remembered most everything and then even though I was fully awake five minutes after the procedure, they made me wait an hour to 'recover' and then make me leave in all things a wheel chair which of course was ridiculous since I was livid and extremely alert. I did not get a sore throat as some people do so at least I had one thing to be grateful for.

The correct protocol for biopsy samples when checking for Celiac is 6/8 samples. The average number taken is only 3. You may want to mention this to your doctor as well. Mine took all of 2 samples but luckily both areas were quite damaged so I was able to get a firm dx. Good luck to you - you'll be fine. From what I've read here my experience was very uncommon.

jerseyangel Proficient

Hi Rose--the endo. is nothing to worry about. I don't remember anything from shortly after they put the IV in, till the time I woke up. I had a colonoscopy done at the same time, and even given the extra time that took, I felt fine after. I rested a bit, had a little apple juice, and then was ready to get dressed and leave. I did not get a sore throat--some people do. My husband and I actually stopped at Whole Foods on the way home! (Not that I recommend it, they told me to go home and rest) The doctor told me to begin the gluten-free diet that day, so I figured I needed a few things......

tiredofdoctors Enthusiast

Nothing to worry about -- it's a piece of cake. I had a colonoscopy, at the same time, too. I agree, though, about telling the doctor that you want to be fully sedated. I wasn't, and they were shocked when I quoted everything that they said -- they thought that I was. It wasn't the most comfortable thing being awake. I did, though, get to watch it on the monitor. Still, I would recommend full sedation. The only part of my recovery was that, because of the colonoscopy, I couldn't eat roughage for 5 days. No Worries! You'll be fine! Hugs, Lynne

plantime Contributor

The worst part of mine was the throat numbing spray. It tasted like paint fumes and diesel fuel mixed smell like, and almost triggered an asthma attack. I was completely under, don't remember any of it, and came home and slept for several hours afterward. I had no pain after it was over. My doc only took 3 samples, but he used a camera scope, and only took samples from red inflamed areas. His were not just random.

2old4 Rookie

Piece of cake, I didn't feel a thing...nice little nap

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

I only had to drink a small amount of liquid lidocaine -- maybe tasted a little weird, but that was all. . . Lynne

Rachel--24 Collaborator

I had the numbing spray but if it bothered me I was "out" too soon to notice.

Just a little humor to ease your nerves: I was having both an endoscopy and a colonoscopy on the same day. Prior to having it, I looked at the nurses and asked "If you're going to use the same tube, could we please do my upper part first?" :P:P Let me tell you, these people have no sense of humor :blink: They just stared at me, while I was giggling as they were putting the mouthguard in my mouth & they started putting the tube in! . . . Lynne

plantime Contributor

" Prior to having it, I looked at the nurses and asked "If you're going to use the same tube, could we please do my upper part first?" Let me tell you, these people have no sense of humor They just stared at me, while I was giggling as they were putting the mouthguard in my mouth & they started putting the tube in!"

I got a good giggle out of it!

Moongirl Community Regular

dont worry about it, ive had a root canal and i have to agree its much worse than the upper endo. I was very nervous about it too, talking to the nurses helps u relax. My GI was great so everything was quick, for me the worst part was that throat numbing stuff too, just smells funky!! and u might a little freaked out cause u cant feel ur throat, but dont worry they have the oxygen tube for ur nose. After he put in the meds to sedate me, i dont remember a thing, i woke up and he was talking to me about what he saw and so on...i was very relaxed and didnt even care that he told me that I most likely had celiac disease from what he saw. For that next week just go easy on the foods that could be irritants. I remember drinking soda and it was stinging all the way down cause my throat was still raw...But u will be fine, just remember to relax.... ;)

Archived