This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

I Just Died And Went To gluten-free Heaven!

tiffjake

tiffjake Enthusiast

Ok, I am a serious chocolate lover, big time, and these Kinnikinnick JB Brownie Squares are SOOOOOO good!!!!! I have been looking and looking for that perfect sweet that was gluten-free and now I have found it!! If you are looking for something sweet and gooey and yummy, this is a great buy!! Just wanted to share that for those of you who love chocolate and brownies like me!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest nini

they are yum, I agree! I got to do a side by side comparison of the JB Brownies, and Foods By George Brownies and the Kinnikinick ones were soooooo much better! The Foods By George ones weren't bad, but I wouldn't buy them over the K ones!

floridanative Community Regular

tiffjake - where do you get them and are they already made or do you bake them like the Pamela's mix? I love Pamela's but it's made with dark choc. I didn't know that before it was too late. I can eat them but I was left with a whole pan of brownies that my poor hubby can't eat (boo hoo he can eat gluten) as he's allergic to dark and bittersweet choc. only. But I want to try the kinickkinik brand when I get through all the frozen Pamela's brownies in the freezer.

Becky6 Enthusiast

Yes they are so yummy!! And they are already baked!!

mouse Enthusiast

I also love the K brownies. My husband and I almost fight over them and he can eat gluten. I save them in the freezer for the times my sweet tooth needs a snack. And also when I have not had any dairy for a long time - I don't want to overdue my casein allergy.

cgilsing Enthusiast

Kinnickinnick makes all the goodies! I just found chocolate dipped donuts and cinnimon buns at a health food store in Bloomington! MMMMMM :) Just thinking about it makes me want to go get a donut!

Becky6 Enthusiast

Bloomington in which state?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cgilsing Enthusiast

Illinois...

tiffjake Enthusiast
tiffjake - where do you get them and are they already made or do you bake them like the Pamela's mix? I love Pamela's but it's made with dark choc. I didn't know that before it was too late. I can eat them but I was left with a whole pan of brownies that my poor hubby can't eat (boo hoo he can eat gluten) as he's allergic to dark and bittersweet choc. only. But I want to try the kinickkinik brand when I get through all the frozen Pamela's brownies in the freezer.

Um, well, to be honest, I can't remember! I got a lot of stuff online from sites like glutino.com and just stocked up a couple of months ago and they have been in the freezer for a couple of months. But I think that I got them from the kinnickinik website. I ordered the brownies, the doughnuts (also super yummy!) and the cinnamon buns, which I haven't tried yet. They are ALREDY BAKED AND READY TO EAT which is great for me, because I am a bad cook, but I am trying to learn. I can mess up mac and cheese (and that was BEFORE finding out about celiac, so now I am REALLY kitchen challenged, LOL.

Becky6 Enthusiast

Ok! We h ave a Bloomington here in MN and I was gonna say which store is that! LOL

cgilsing Enthusiast

Oh LOL well, if your ever in Bloomington Illinois it's right downtown! :P

Thanks tiffjake (I'm another Tiffany on here but not the one who's a really good cook). I know exactly what you mean about being kitchen challenged. My hubby used to be a chef so he has done 99% of the cooking at home for 16+ years. Now that we don't eat out twice a week, I've had to start helping with meals since I have more time right now for it than he does. I'm really into already baked goods that keep well in the freezer but I'll buy a mix to make brownies and such (as long as they're easy). We have had Pamela's panckake mix and that is my favorite 'replacement' food item to date.

The hardest thing I'm finding with the diet isn't the food since I didn't have to change that much from my already mostly healthy diet (meats, seafood, fruits and veggies) but I'm really struggling with not going out to eat as often as I'd like. So far we've been out once in the month since my dx and it was amazing but the place had a lot of gluten-free menu options as the chef's wife has Celiac. She is is also the bartender so she told me what I could order right off the menu with no modifications. But the place is very pricey and is a 30 minute drive from my house. I'm used to trying all the new restaurants in town (many open each month) and meeting people for lunch, besides going to dinner or picking up take out each week with my hubby. Well I guess this should be posted on the 'Coping with' thread...sorry about that.

tiffjake Enthusiast
The hardest thing I'm finding with the diet isn't the food since I didn't have to change that much from my already mostly healthy diet (meats, seafood, fruits and veggies) but I'm really struggling with not going out to eat as often as I'd like. So far we've been out once in the month since my dx and it was amazing but the place had a lot of gluten-free menu options as the chef's wife has Celiac. She is is also the bartender so she told me what I could order right off the menu with no modifications. But the place is very pricey and is a 30 minute drive from my house. I'm used to trying all the new restaurants in town (many open each month) and meeting people for lunch, besides going to dinner or picking up take out each week with my hubby. Well I guess this should be posted on the 'Coping with' thread...sorry about that.

I totally hear ya on that one. I am used to going out nearly 5 times a week and there just aren't that many gluten-free menus out there! So I am having to learn a lot of new stuff! Hang in there. I hve a feeling there will be more and more popping up in the next year or two.

Wow - then you had it worse than we did, bless your heart! I thought switching from going out twice a week was bad enough. I'm starting to actually open some cookbooks I used only as decor on my kitchen shelf until recently. There are a lot of great menu ideas that can be adapted to gluten free if they aren't just gluten free already. It's just that when you've never really cooked, this whole gluten-free thing can be quite challenging to say the least.

Today is my four week anniversary on the diet and we've been out to eat once. But I found that two places with gluten-free menu items will be opening soon near me. Seasons 52 and Wildfire - the latter even has a gluten-free bun for sandwiches and burgers. And there is an Italian place here that has gluten-free menu options including corn pasta imported from Italy and flouless chocolate cake. My support group is eating there in April but I think I'll venture over there before then. I don't think I can wait two months to try it!

tiffjake Enthusiast
And there is an Italian place here that has gluten-free menu options including corn pasta imported from Italy and flouless chocolate cake. My support group is eating there in April but I think I'll venture over there before then. I don't think I can wait two months to try it!

Oh my gosh that sounds so good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know it does, doesn't it? I'll post about it after I eat there....may try and go next weekend. I'm going stir crazy eating at home every day - that's for sure!

tiffjake Enthusiast
I know it does, doesn't it? I'll post about it after I eat there....may try and go next weekend. I'm going stir crazy eating at home every day - that's for sure!

Well,I just started a new diet, LA Weightloss, and I have to cook all of my foods, so I am going to be a pro soon, but my oh my, I will still love my eating out when I get it!!!!!!!

penguin Community Regular
Well,I just started a new diet, LA Weightloss, and I have to cook all of my foods, so I am going to be a pro soon, but my oh my, I will still love my eating out when I get it!!!!!!!

Not to get off subject, but...

LA Weightloss is great! I've done it twice, and still use some of the tips. It may be a challenge gluten-free, make sure you get some gluten-free protein bars (like the think thin) because LA weightloss pushes those not only because they want to make more money off of you, but on the diet you only get like, 800 calories (not healthy) on the diet daily. I added it up once. Just make sure whatever supplement you use, that it's low in sodium because you really pack on the water weight if you get any additional salt on that diet! Good luck and you can always ask me if you have any questions about it! :lol:

Archived