This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

multi grain cheerios ?

DJFL77I

DJFL77I Experienced

https://delivery.publix.com/landing?product_id=279754&region_id=1603560353&utm_medium=sem_shopping&utm_source=instacart_google&utm_campaign=ad_demand_shopping_pbi_publix_rp&utm_content=accountid-8847647239_campaignid-10371352302_adgroupid-102298299599_device-c

are these ok?     it says celiac foundation   /   glutenfree..

i usually eat them with almost milk..

I noticed my nose got a bit watery while eating them this morning...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Awol cast iron stomach Experienced

This was one of the more recent thread on gluten-free cheerios.

Many discussions occurred on that product in 2017. From my observation and reading it is an individual choice based on reaction/no reaction when eating. Also if the individual is comfortable with the mechanical separation process.I

Personally when I first went gluten-free prior to diagnosis I ate gluten-free cheerios. After my gluten challenge and the years after I followed many of the veteran community members advice to be whole foods and avoid processed gluten-free foods as I grew intolerant to additives and additional ingredients.

I do not currently eat gluten-free cheerios as I still make my own baked goods etc. I feel better avoiding most gluten-free processed foods and foods with multiple additives and flavors.

DJFL77I Experienced

what do you mean "be whole foods" ?

Not processed. Produce section/ fresh foods . Fresh vegetables, fresh fruits, fresh meats/eggs. I make my own baked goods. 

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/whole food

DJFL77I Experienced

what about snacks..

Like Gluten free chips ?  ice cream ?   etc

DJFL77I Experienced

Can I ask what you eat daily?  

For example...   what do you have for breakfast?   Lunch and dinner ?

And for snacks?

Whole Foods has a dedicated Gluten Free Bakehouse that makes breads and sweet treats, and their products are available at all of our US and Canadian stores. 

22 minutes ago, Awol cast iron stomach said:

Not processed. Produce section/ fresh foods . Fresh vegetables, fresh fruits, fresh meats/eggs. I make my own baked goods. 

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/whole food

Edit: this link does a great job of describing the breakdown of food processing 

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/processed-foods/

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

28 minutes ago, DJFL77I said:

what about snacks..

Like Gluten free chips ?  ice cream ?   

I don't eat ice cream. I can't do cow milk. Store bought  ice cream has too many additives etc for me. We do buy gluten-free ice cream for my kids they like the brand cado and daiya ice cream bars.

My snacks are usually nuts,  quick veggie , or fruit. 

Chips in our home Kirkland gluten-free chips and Siete Food. I do not buy the corn containing choices as I avoid corn and corn dervatives.

Can I ask what you eat daily?  

For example...   what do you have for breakfast?   Lunch and dinner ?

And for snacks?

Whole Foods has a dedicated Gluten Free Bakehouse that makes breads and sweet treats, and their products are available at all of our US and Canadian stores. 

Whole foods not the store/retailer ( I shop several places)  but see link below

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/processed-foods/

cyclinglady Grand Master
5 minutes ago, DJFL77I said:

what about snacks..

Like Gluten free chips ?  ice cream ?   etc

Breyer’s Ice cream is labeled gluten free.  It is good.  Simple ingredients (plain vanilla).   I also buy certified gluten-free corn and potato chips.  But I do not have issues with soy, corn or milk which are common in processed foods.  

cyclinglady Grand Master

B — plain yogurt with heavy cream, banana, cinnamon and egg “pancake”.  I eat yogurt and eggs every single day: fried, soft-boiled, hard-boiled, scrambled with cheese, meat, veggies.  

L — turkey roll-ups.  Made an egg salad with cheese sandwich for hubby.  Served with cut up veggies, fruit.

D — Grilled rosemary chicken, rice, green beans with yellow squash, yellow tomato, avocado and cucumber salad.  Breyers for dessert!  

I love chips and dessert like anyone else.  I definitely have been consuming more because my university student is home.  Not good because I do not want to gain weight and I am insulin resistant. 

Edited by cyclinglady
Kate333 Rising Star

I would not trust ANY packaged/processed food, esp. Cheerios which, is packed full of garbage like most commercially-made cereals (additives, artificial flavors/colors, high fructose corn syrup)--much of it hidden by use of exotic, confusing content names, designed to fool even the most educated, careful label-reading shoppers). 

Gluten issue aside, commercial cereal makers have been making false claims ("heart-healthy" labels) and overcharging consumers for DECADES ($5-$7 for a box of what?? Artificially-colored and flavored junk, essentially compressed "saw-dust" with ZERO nutrients, made edible by massive infusions of sugar/high fructose corn syrup.  YUM....  

If you eat packaged cereals you also expose yourself to CC risks because most companies use the SAME equipment to harvest/process/package products containing wheat/rye/barley or fail to thoroughly separate, clean them.  

If you want HEALTHY grains, then eat oats, rice, quinoa.  "CERTIFIED gluten-free" of course...although I also have qualms about those--esp. since my tTG numbers have not yet returned to normal after 6 months on gluten-free diet.

DJFL77I Experienced

Then what the hell are you supposed to eat...    

Maybe I'll just move to Alaska and live off the land...........   probably the only way you can get 100% gluten free

cyclinglady Grand Master

Then what the hell are you supposed to eat...    

Maybe I'll just move to Alaska and live off the land...........   probably the only way you can get 100% gluten free

Cereal is okay for a celiac.  

There has been controversy over oats.  To place it safe, consider following the old celiac guidelines.  The old rule recommended no oats for six months.  Then test for a reaction as some celiacs actually react to oats.  This advice is still being dished out in Australia.  Oats are banned there for celiacs.  

https://www.coeliac.org.au/uploads/65701/ufiles/Position_Statements/CAPSOats.pdf

What cereal to eat now?  How about Chex Cereal?  Rice and corn versions are gluten free and are cheap.  We eat these cereals when we are camping.  Hubby like seeds and nut granola type cereal to mix in with the Chex (he is a casserole guy 🤣) or add to his yogurt.  We also add berries or bananas.  All this can be found at your local box stores like Walmart or Target or grocery stores.  

cyclinglady Grand Master
53 minutes ago, Kate333 said:

I would not trust ANY packaged/processed food, esp. Cheerios which, is packed full of garbage like most commercially-made cereals (additives, artificial flavors/colors, high fructose corn syrup)--much of it hidden by use of exotic, confusing content names, designed to fool even the most educated, careful label-reading shoppers). 

Gluten issue aside, commercial cereal makers have been making false claims ("heart-healthy" labels) and overcharging consumers for DECADES ($5-$7 for a box of what?? Artificially-colored and flavored junk, essentially compressed "saw-dust" with ZERO nutrients, made edible by massive infusions of sugar/high fructose corn syrup.  YUM....  

If you eat packaged cereals you also expose yourself to CC risks because most companies use the SAME equipment to harvest/process/package products containing wheat/rye/barley or fail to thoroughly separate, clean them.  

If you want HEALTHY grains, then eat oats, rice, quinoa.  "CERTIFIED gluten-free" of course...although I also have qualms about those--esp. since my tTG numbers have not yet returned to normal after 6 months on gluten-free diet.

Because you are older like me, antibodies can take a very long time to normalize — 1 to 3 years.  Look for a downward trend on those lab results.  If your symptoms are not improving, you might have another illness and it might not be due to active celiac disease.   TTG can be elevated  for other autoimmune reasons.   A repeat endoscopy might be a good idea for you.  Then you would know if gluten is really the culprit.