Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter
3 3
selectivefocus

Does this look like DH?

Rate this topic

This is on my 8 year old daughter. She gets DH on her elbows and knees but it's much more individual bubbles than something like this. This is in her groin area, and it burns/stings very badly, not itchy whatsoever. Limiting dairy is helping (iodine). It started after I gave her a horizon organic milk box in her lunch. It has added D3 and doesn't say gluten-free anywhere on the box but it's just milk. Almost everything she eats is Certified and she doesn't eat yogurt or anything. After meticulously going over everything she ate this was the only different thing besides her teacher giving her fruit snacks (that said gluten-free on the bag).

20201023_153431.jpg

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Of course we can't officially diagnose you with just this image, however, it does look a lot like the small spot of DH that I had on the back on my hand (until it was horribly sunburned and never came back!).

It would be important for her to get a celiac disease blood screening, and see a dermatologist for a skin biopsy that looks specifically for DH (must be done correctly).

Scott Adams

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Founder Celiac.com

7 minutes ago, Scott Adams said:

Of course we can't officially diagnose you with just this image, however, it does look a lot like the small spot of DH that I had on the back on my hand (until it was horribly sunburned and never came back!).

It would be important for her to get a celiac disease blood screening, and see a dermatologist for a skin biopsy that looks specifically for DH (must be done correctly).

She has been diagnosed through blood test. But the DH that she had before looked nothing like it. That's why I'm confused. Our household is strictly gluten-free so I'm just confused what caused her to flare.

The general recommendation is to avoid all processed foods for a while, even certified gluten-free ones. This isn't easy to do, but studies have found trace amounts of gluten in foods that are labelled gluten-free, and I believe even in some that were certified gluten-free.

Scott Adams

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Founder Celiac.com

selectivefocus,

There is iodine in "just milk".   This could be causing your daughter's DH to flair.  I'd suggest no dairy at all.  Greens are a better source of calcium.  Check your salt, too.  Pink Himalayan salt has less iodine than sea salt.   

DH is pressure sensitive.  DH will occur anywhere there is pressure.  We rest on our elbows, clothes press on on knees and get bunched up in our crotch.  

I got DH blisters on the palms of my hands from pushing a grocery carriage around the supermarket.  And I got DH blisters under elastic in waistbands and in underwear.  

Also, riboflavin (vitamin B2) deficiency can cause a rash in the groin area like that.  (Been there, done that.)

DH will improve with Niacinamide or Nicotinic acid (vitamin B3, not the stuff in cigarettes).  

My skin and rashes improved dramatically with B-Complex vitamins and Vitamins C and A.  

Have you thought about giving your daughter a B-Complex vitamin supplement?  Discuss this with your doctor. 

Hope this helps!

Edited by knitty kitty
Typo correction