Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

• You've found your Celiac Tribe! Join our like-minded, private community and share your story, get encouragement and connect with others.

💬

• Sign In
4 4
Mandymoos

Received diagnosis today

Rate this topic

Hi everyone 

heartwarming to see this forum.... received the diagnoses today via letter from hospital, have immediately started gluten free diet, and trying to move in with a positive attitude. I’ve had no typical symptoms apart from fatigue and brain fog during work. I have pernicious anemia / B12 deficiency and anemia which is being treated and reading more it seems these are interlinked. 

It’s all a little overwhelming at the moment but nice to see a friendly bunch of people offering good advice and support :) 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

1 hour ago, Mandymoos said:

Hi everyone 

heartwarming to see this forum.... received the diagnoses today via letter from hospital, have immediately started gluten free diet, and trying to move in with a positive attitude. I’ve had no typical symptoms apart from fatigue and brain fog during work. I have pernicious anemia / B12 deficiency and anemia which is being treated and reading more it seems these are interlinked. 

It’s all a little overwhelming at the moment but nice to see a friendly bunch of people offering good advice and support :) 

Hi Mandy,

Welcome to the forum! :)  The ranks of the gluten-free crowd grows every day.  Soon we will make our move and take over the grocery stores! :)

Actually, that's already happening.  There are many gluten-free products available now.  Breads, chips, cookies, pizza, beers etc, etc.  If we can answer any questions or help just let us know.

Welcome again! :)

Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."

Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.

Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, eggplant, celery, strawberries, pistachios, and hard work. Have a good day! 🙂 Paul

On 12/19/2020 at 2:19 AM, GFinDC said:

Hi Mandy,

Welcome to the forum! :)  The ranks of the gluten-free crowd grows every day.  Soon we will make our move and take over the grocery stores! :)

Actually, that's already happening.  There are many gluten-free products available now.  Breads, chips, cookies, pizza, beers etc, etc.  If we can answer any questions or help just let us know.

Thank you! I’ve had a quick scout around, a little shocked to see the prices but in awe that Asda do gluten free mozerella sticks 😂 this is a great resource and reams of useful info so I’ll be lurking around for sure. Thank you again x 

On 12/19/2020 at 6:28 PM, Scott Adams said:

Welcome and feel free to ask any questions!

This article might be helpful:

Thank you Scott I’ll definitely take a look at that, I’m anything for a good starting point. Thank you again for taking the trouble to reply, slowly getting my head around this new life change ! X 

On 12/18/2020 at 6:19 PM, GFinDC said:

Hi Mandy,

Hi GFinDC.  Can you recommend any specific, certified gluten-free potato chip brands that you have personally eaten and like?  I used to LOVE Ruffles chips and had to give them up after bad indigestion when I ate them. I think Frito-Lay (FL) makes Ruffles?  

The last time I was in a store and looked, I noticed the words "gluten free" in very small font on a bag of Ruffles chips.   But--ever wary about cross-contamination possibility--I just don't want to risk getting exposed to even tiny bits of gluten, at least not until my gut has had ample time to heal.  FL (and so many other chips companies) make so many products and I've never heard of any of them using totally separate, completely gluten-free facilities/machines.  I also mourn the loss of French Fries and Tater Tots and Cheetos in the same way. LOL  God I miss ALL those crunchy "comfort food" treats!😭

Thanks.

most kettle brand chips are certified gluten-free (maybe not the vinegar ones) also, cape cod brand are as well.  i tend to look for that lil' circle what says 'certified gluten-free' when i'm choosing my snackeroos.  i am addicted to the kettle 'bourbon bbq' flavor lolz

arlene

misdiagnosed for 25 years!
just as i was getting my affairs in order to die of malnutrition...
gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative
celiac confirmed by endoscopy 9/2010

only YOU can prevent forest fires - smokey t. bear

have a nice day :)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

4 hours ago, Kate333 said:

Hi GFinDC.  Can you recommend any specific, certified gluten-free potato chip brands that you have personally eaten and like?  I used to LOVE Ruffles chips and had to give them up after bad indigestion when I ate them. I think Frito-Lay (FL) makes Ruffles?  

The last time I was in a store and looked, I noticed the words "gluten free" in very small font on a bag of Ruffles chips.   But--ever wary about cross-contamination possibility--I just don't want to risk getting exposed to even tiny bits of gluten, at least not until my gut has had ample time to heal.  FL (and so many other chips companies) make so many products and I've never heard of any of them using totally separate, completely gluten-free facilities/machines.  I also mourn the loss of French Fries and Tater Tots and Cheetos in the same way. LOL  God I miss ALL those crunchy "comfort food" treats!😭

Thanks.

Hi Kate,

I don't eat potatoes so am not much help on the potato chip info.  But as far as other type of chip like foods goes:

Snyder's makes a snack called Puffin Corn that is similar to Cheetos but without the dairy.  Around my area the Snyder's Corn Puffs are sold in gas stations but not most grocery stores.   Vegan Rob's makes Brussels Sprout Puffs and Cauliflower Puffs too.  The Vegan Rob's Puffs are larger and longer than the Snyder Corn Puffs.  They are shaped like Cheetos more.  Vegan Rob's Puffs are certified but I am not sure about the Snyder's Puffs.

Frito's Corn Chips are gluten-free also.

Edited by GFinDC

Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."

Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.

Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, eggplant, celery, strawberries, pistachios, and hard work. Have a good day! 🙂 Paul