Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

• You've found your Celiac Tribe! Join our like-minded, private community and share your story, get encouragement and connect with others.

💬

• Sign In
4 4
Daphne Bennie

Celiac and antibiotics

Rate this topic

Hello everyone. I have celiac disease and I was on two rounds of antibiotics over the past two months. I have been having many digestive issues after finishing the antibiotic treatments including bloating and gi pain. Anyone else has gone through something similar? No gluten consumed. Thank you : ) 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I would think that what you are experiencing is not abnormal at all. Even people without celiac disease commonly experience what you describe after being on antibiotics.

For a long time, medical scientists have suspected that overuse of antibiotics, particularly early in life, can be a contributing factor to celiac disease because they kill off certain strains of microbiota in the gut and create a microbiotic imbalance. Testing of the gut microbiotic environment of celiacs has shown the mix and composition of bacteria is typically different than it is for people without celiac disease and I believe that persists to some degree even after going gluten-free. So it stands to reason that celiacs would be even more sensitive to the negative effect on the gut microbiotic environment that non celiacs.

Get on the yogurt and some good probiotics.

Edited by trents

Daphne,

Celiac.com recently ran an article that might help you.

I know you are not a child but it establishes  how Antibiotics can affect Celiac's...

Be sure to read the comments it has more good information in the comments.

I hope this is helpful but it is  not medical advise.

Posterboy

15 minutes ago, Posterboy said:

Daphe,

Celiac.com recently ran an article that might help you.

I know you are not a child but it establishes  how Antibiotics can affect Celiac's...

Be sure to read the comments it has more good information in the comments.

I hope this is helpful but it is  not medical advise.

Posterboy

Daphne,

I am sorry I miss spelled your name. I tried editing my response but it wouldn't let me.

Posterboy,

We used to allow longer edit times, But what was happening is that spammers were posting normal posts which were approved, and then they would go back later and add in spam links to their approved posts. It made it very hard to detect them.

Scott Adams

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Founder Celiac.com