This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

How long does it take to feel well

pokey449

Beverage Rising Star

I got sick on certified gluten-free oats. I have no problems with "PURITY PROTICOL" oats. Do an internet search for a list of brands. brands.We use gluten-free Harvest.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

pokey449 Enthusiast

Ok thank you. 

Beverage Rising Star

Finally got to my pc with saved bookmarks....here's the list I use for "purity protocol" oats:

https://www.glutenfreewatchdog.org/news/oats-produced-under-a-gluten-free-purity-protocol-listing-of-suppliers-and-manufacturers/

However, please note that some Celiac's are unable to eat oats at all as it triggers an attack just like wheat, rye, and barley.  Oats have a protein strand the next closest to the top 3. It's a small percentage of people, but that is still possible.  It's recommended that you stay off of oats for awhile until you have no issues, then re-introduce (but with purity protocol oats).

Good luck. I know it's frustrating, but a methodical way of eliminating then re-introducing should help you figure it out.

pokey449 Enthusiast

Where can you buy purity protocol gluten free oatmeal? My Google searches only got me to information on the details of purity protocol. I can’t find the products for sale. 

pokey449 Enthusiast

Sorry didn’t see the link the first time. Thanks. 

Beverage Rising Star

You can buy on Amazon, but I like to deal directly with companies if they sell themselves. 

pokey449 Enthusiast

Any opinion on Bobs Red Mills gluten free oatmeal? That’s what I’ve been eating. Think I’m doing ok on it 🙄

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Beverage Rising Star
12 minutes ago, pokey449 said:

Any opinion on Bobs Red Mills gluten free oatmeal? That’s what I’ve been eating. Think I’m doing ok on it 🙄

That's one of the ones that made me really sick. It may have been in the legal limit to be labeled gluten-free, but wasn't safe for some Celiac's.

Scott Adams Grand Master
23 minutes ago, Beverage said:

That's one of the ones that made me really sick. It may have been in the legal limit to be labeled gluten-free, but wasn't safe for some Celiac's.

I just want to point out that there is a huge misconception regarding the concept of the "legal limit" and the use of "gluten-free" on labels. If you read some posts on this topic you might believe that manufacturers (and of course it is always the biggest ones who do this, right?) fortify their gluten-free products with 20ppm gluten. Obviously this isn't the case, and in fact the bigger the company the greater their liability, so they are, in my opinion, more likely to get gluten-free right than many of these tiny companies who don't have the means to run gluten tests on a scale that is necessary to ensure a gluten-free product. Being a smaller company or producer of anything doesn't necessarily mean safer in the gluten-free world, and being small may now be a disadvantage. 

Generally speaking the bigger the company the better their manufacturing protocols are, and the more tests they run. If any gluten is detected they generally back trace to find the source and eliminate it. They can afford to test the ingredients sent to them from their suppliers, and have the clout to push their suppliers to offer certified gluten-free ingredients. 

Beverage Rising Star

I'm positive it was the Bob's Gluten Free Oats. I stopped them, then tried again, then stopped them, and tried again.  Each time I tried them, I got seriously ill.  I never ever eat out, my home is totally gluten free (except my boyfriend can drink beer in the house and he's very careful with how he handles that), I eat almost totally whole food, and I made sure I was not eating or putting on my body anything new, even a new purchase of a product I had eaten or used before. 

CMCM Rising Star
6 minutes ago, Beverage said:

I'm positive it was the Bob's Gluten Free Oats. I stopped them, then tried again, then stopped them, and tried again.  Each time I tried them, I got seriously ill.  I never ever eat out, my home is totally gluten free (except my boyfriend can drink beer in the house and he's very careful with how he handles that), I eat almost totally whole food, and I made sure I was not eating or putting on my body anything new, even a new purchase of a product I had eaten or used before. 

More than the Bob's oats not being gluten free, I would guess you are one of the people who are also sensitive to the oat protein as well.  Most people with celiac disease can tolerate the similar avenin protein in oats, but some cannot.  My mother was highly sensitive to gluten, and she didn't dare eat any kind of oats.  I can't decide about myself, but for now, I've decided to avoid all oats as well.

Beverage Rising Star

I thought I might be one that had a problem with oats also, because I was eating gluten free oats. However, when I tried Purity Protocol oats, absolutely no problem. But it is good to remind people that some cannot tolerate oats regardless. 

Gloria L Enthusiast
On 2/24/2021 at 2:45 PM, Beverage said:

Well another thing that lingered for me was acid reflux/gerd with dry cough and wheezing. What I Iearned from Dr. Jonathan Wright is that acid reflux is 99% from too little acid, NOT too much. The food does not digest, and so rots and ferments and that causes the problems.

What helped me a lot was following this article:

https://drjockers.com/hiatal-hernia/

Do NOT take any acid controller medications, those will make it worse in the long run, and you will prevent absorbing vitamins. We need acid to break things down so that our intestines can absorb those vitamins that Celiacs need so badly.

I now only take a sip of apple cider vinegar before meals with protein (first with a little water to get used to it, now I take it straight)...YES ADD ACID.

and these DGL tables after dinner most days (needing to take less and less):

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001IAJW0K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hi, did you have a hiatal hernia that was causing pain and discomfort? I read the article you posted about it, it says you can get it pushed down by a chiropractor, did you try it?

Beverage Rising Star
1 hour ago, Gloria L said:

Hi, did you have a hiatal hernia that was causing pain and discomfort? I read the article you posted about it, it says you can get it pushed down by a chiropractor, did you try it?

I think I did have a hiatal hernia, docs thought I might, but no diagnosis based on a scope or anything, just on symptoms.

I didn't try the chiropractor, but I tried that thumping of your heels first thing in the morning.  Things were slowly improving after that.  Then one day, after eating lunch, I had the dry cough and lots of acid reflux distress, it was VERY uncomfortable.  So I drank some water and did the thumping, and I felt a weird feeling at my stomach as if something slid down.  It was a weird sensation just for a few seconds, like a slippery eel sliding down...yuck.  I'm guessing it was this.  Since then I have not had the severity that I used to have, and taking a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar before meals with protein and DGL after dinner (or if any acid reflux...I like spicy food) is all I need now.  I haven't taken any antacids since trying the things in the article.

Oh...since my problem got worse as soon as I laid down to go to sleep, we also did a little elevation of the head end of your bed ... we started with one 2x4 for about a week (2" height).  Then we added to it, to 2 2x4's (4" height) at the head and 1 2x4 at the middle legs.  Can't tell it's there, but we both thought it helped and I don't get that dry cough then anymore.