This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

My Blood Work Was Very Expensive - I'm Very Upset

Carolita

Carolita Rookie

Hello all.

I got the bill for my blood work on Friday and they are charging me $899.00 :blink:

My insurance will not cover it b/c where I work they offer a very weird insurance where they give you a certain amount of $ (no much) and then is up to you to pay until you meet a deductible. Anyway, it will be out-of-pocket. I didn't know the blood work would be that much. I'm very upset about it.

Also, the doctor wants to see me to tell me I have Celiac disease. I called the nurse and asked if they could tell me over the phone what I need to know. The nurse talked to the Dr. and she basically told her she needed to see me b/c Celiac is a very rare disease and that I will not understand over the phone what I need to know. That made me very upset. They want to charge $57 for the visit and explanation. Do you think is worth going to the appointment. I don't want to be sick or jeperdize my health but I'm not paying $57.00 so she can tell me to stay away from Gluten. I don't know. Maybe there is more to it. What do you guys think?

Please help.

Thanks!!!!!!

Carol :(

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

wolfie Enthusiast

OUCH!!! Sorry that you have to pay that out of pocket. :( Is the dr aware that you are paying that amount out of pocket and that you really can't afford another $60 for them to tell you to eat gluten-free? There could be other health issues related to Celiac that he/she wants to discuss with you, though.

Good luck!

mommida Enthusiast

The doctor may want to run more tests for vitamin and nutrient defiency related problems/diseases associated with Celiac.

I would personally spend the 57 bucks on some gluten free food staples you will need and ask for a copy of the tests.

(Did I read somewhere there is a Celiac support network that actually sends out a gluten free food basket for newly diagnosed? Or is that just certain doctors or hospitals?)

L.

Carolita Rookie

Hello Kim.

I'm not sure. I talked to the nurse and I hope she conveyed the information. I get the impression that the nurse doesn't want to get involved :(

Thanks ... I might go see her. I have another appointment on the 20th to get my second Hepatitis B shot for school.

Carol :unsure:

Hello Mommida.

Thanks for the reply. I don't know about the free basket. What do you mean by gluten free food staples? I'm still very new at this.

Thanks for your help,

wolfie Enthusiast

Maybe you could combine those 2 into 1 appointment? That may save you some $$.

I know it stinks....we have a high deductible, too. Most of our well care is covered at 100%, but a lot of testing/urgent care stuff isn't.

penguin Community Regular

Ouch! Sorry your insurance wouldn't cover it! My insurance covered all but $2 of it (I have really good insurance), but what you're being charged is about what my insurance got charged.

Personally, I don't think the appointment would be worth it at this point. Your first flag is that his nurse said "celiac is a rare disease", which tells me they probably have outdated information. Even my doctor told me I'd find out more doing research on my own than what she or a nutritionist could tell me. I would say that you research it yourself and then make an appointment for a follow-up 3-6 months down the line to see how you are progressing.

Just my take.

Carolita Rookie

Kim ... I think I'll go get my lab results and ask if we can convine both appointments. I can read what the results say and try to make some sense of it. I have tried doing that in the past. I think though, they wanted to see me soon ... I hope is nothing really bad :(

So, in general insurances don't cover Celiac testing / urgent care? I thought it was just mine b/c is not a very good one.

Carol :unsure:

Thanks Chelsea. I will be leaving my job very soon and going back to school so I will have a different insurance (offered by the school) around June so I hope it will cover it. Hopefully they don't come back with some excuse about it being a pre-existing condition. I hate being sick. Not only does one have to deal withe the disease but with the insurance as well.

Thanks for your input. I knew I could count on your guys.

Carol ;)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor
Hello all.

I got the bill for my blood work on Friday and they are charging me $899.00 :blink:

My insurance will not cover it b/c where I work they offer a very weird insurance where they give you a certain amount of $ (no much) and then is up to you to pay until you meet a deductible. Anyway, it will be out-of-pocket. I didn't know the blood work would be that much. I'm very upset about it.

Also, the doctor wants to see me to tell me I have Celiac disease. I called the nurse and asked if they could tell me over the phone what I need to know. The nurse talked to the Dr. and she basically told her she needed to see me b/c Celiac is a very rare disease and that I will not understand over the phone what I need to know. That made me very upset. They want to charge $57 for the visit and explanation. Do you think is worth going to the appointment. I don't want to be sick or jeperdize my health but I'm not paying $57.00 so she can tell me to stay away from Gluten. I don't know. Maybe there is more to it. What do you guys think?

Please help.

Thanks!!!!!!

Carol, Make sure your doctor knows your financial situation, not all but some will reduce your bill. Also if you are in state that has any kind of medical assistance program you may be able to get help with that bill under a emergency program. If the lab was located in your local hospital you can also go to their finacial offices and ask for help with problem. Most hospitals have programs to cover stuff for people who are under or not insured. They don't always let that fact be readily known so don't assume there is no help available without asking first.

Carolita Rookie

Thank you Ravenwoodglass. I'll do that. I think it was done at the hospital since the bill came from them. I called the hospital and they told me they forwarded it to my insurance and are waiting on them to reply so I'll wait and see what happens. Maybe I woun't have to pay all of it.

Thanks,

Carol ;)

ravenwoodglass Mentor
Thank you Ravenwoodglass. I'll do that. I think it was done at the hospital since the bill came from them. I called the hospital and they told me they forwarded it to my insurance and are waiting on them to reply so I'll wait and see what happens. Maybe I woun't have to pay all of it.

Thanks,

Carol ;)

Also sometimes the insurance companies and the hospitals settle with themselves for a fraction of the cost. I well remember the first time I had 13 tubes of blood drawn and the bill was over $1000, but they actually got much less in the end. And welcome to the family, this board was a life saver for me there are soooo many nice, knowledgeable and even kooky folks around here.

tiredofdoctors Enthusiast

I'm with you on this one. My neuro doc drew an ataxia panel -- we got a letter FedEx'd to us by Athena Labs that stated they didn't know what the insurance was going to cover, but if we wanted to lock in a 20% co-pay, we could pay $1,299 by Visa, Mastercard, Discover or check by phone. If the insurance covered more than the 80%, they would refund the difference. Sure, let's go ahead and do that check by phone! I called today to cancel the testing. I don't know if I need to know that badly what type of genetic garbage caused gluten to screw up my brain.

Carolita Rookie
I'm with you on this one. My neuro doc drew an ataxia panel -- we got a letter FedEx'd to us by Athena Labs that stated they didn't know what the insurance was going to cover, but if we wanted to lock in a 20% co-pay, we could pay $1,299 by Visa, Mastercard, Discover or check by phone. If the insurance covered more than the 80%, they would refund the difference. Sure, let's go ahead and do that check by phone! I called today to cancel the testing. I don't know if I need to know that badly what type of genetic garbage caused gluten to screw up my brain.

Hello Lynne.

Wow!!! Is better to wait and see what the insurance will do. I understan what you mean. Medical treatment is getting more expensive by the minute :( Hope you fee better soon.

Thanks,

Carol ;)

Archived