• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

jaten

Pizza Crust

Rate this topic

Just thought I'd pass along what I discovered this evening!

Tonight we tried the pizza crust recipe on the side of Pamela's Amazing Wheat-Free bread mix. Yummy! I've tried various rice crusts and Kinnikinnick frozen crust and have liked them; however, none of them satisfied that Pizza Hut/Domino's pizza craving. This crust by Pamela's was easy to make and very similar to what I remember of a "real pizza" crust.

fwiw: I topped it with a Wild Oats marinara sauce, shrimp, spinach, mushrooms, & red bell pepper. YUMMY(!) even without cheese. If you're still looking for a pizza crust, this is a must-try!

Before I get my hopes up - does it have eggs, dairy or soy?

Good question....The short answer is NO :)

Here's the ingredient list straight from bag of mix:

sorghum flour, tapioca flour, sweet rice flour, brown rice flour, organic natural evaporated cane sugar, chicory root, white rice flour, millet flour, honey & molasses, rice bran, sea salt, xantham gum

To prepare the pizza crust you only add: oil, water, and the enclosed yeast packet

I did follow the recommendation to grease the pan (with shortening) and sprinkled the pan with cornmeal to add texture to the crust. I think the cornmeal also helped keep the crust from sticking.

Side note: the loaf bread made from this mix is also very good, but the bread does require egg; milk is optional

Hurray! Now all I have to do is find a store around here that sells it! I haven't had anything that tastes like a "real" pizza crust for 10 years, and everything else that I've seen has eggs or dairy. Thanks!

We love Carol Fenster's pizza crust. It's in her book "Cooking Free", and is also available online her site www.savorypalate.com.

I don't remember for sure off the top of my head if this particular recipe is eggs & dairy free (I *think* it is), but her book does offer alternate ingredients for those who are gluten-, dairy-, and egg-sensitive. It's my favourite cookbook.

Hurray! Now all I have to do is find a store around here that sells it! I haven't had anything that tastes like a "real" pizza crust for 10 years, and everything else that I've seen has eggs or dairy. Thanks!

Yeah, I smiled when I re-read the ingredients to myself and saw that it would meet your needs. You're in for a pleasant surprise....it even rises like real pizza dough, but not too bread-y.

I buy it at Wild Oats, but I'm sure you can find it where ever you find your gluten-free items. You could order it online from Gluten Solutions http://www.glutensolutions.com/store.asp and I'm sure other online vendors.

Just thought I'd pass along what I discovered this evening!

Tonight we tried the pizza crust recipe on the side of Pamela's Amazing Wheat-Free bread mix. Yummy! I've tried various rice crusts and Kinnikinnick frozen crust and have liked them; however, none of them satisfied that Pizza Hut/Domino's pizza craving. This crust by Pamela's was easy to make and very similar to what I remember of a "real pizza" crust.

I love Pamela's Amazing Wheat Free Bread Mix. I haven't tried making a pizza crust with it yet, or even a loaf of bread. So far I've used it to make homemade cinnamon rolls and they came out so good- very much like the real thing. I love how the mix rises and dough-like bread consistency of the end result.

For me this product is definitely a keeper, I'll have to try making the pizza crust with it next.

did you only get enough to make one pizza? how much oil did it call for

I don't remember ever seeing the bread mix at my whole foods

did you only get enough to make one pizza? how much oil did it call for

I don't remember ever seeing the bread mix at my whole foods

The directions recommend 2 12" crusts. I did that, and the crust easily could have been thinner still...so bigger pizza. It really was a lot of pizza.

Hmmm, how much oil? Seems like maybe a 1/4 cup. I'll post later if this is not right. Also, keep your fingers oiled while you work the crust. It is pretty sticky, but kept dipping my fingers in oil as recommended. Really if you follow the recommendations on the bag, it's easy and YUMMY!

Mixing the dough took maybe 5 minutes. Dump mix, yeast, oil & beat for 3 min. Spread on greased pans (sprinkled with cornmeal, optional; I did). Let rise for 1 hr. (I turned the oven to warm while mixing. Turned oven off, and placed pans in warm oven) Bake crust at 350 for 10 min. Remove and top with whatever. Return to oven and bake 15 min. All done :)

Haven't tried this, but another suggestion on the bag was to wrap and freeze crusts after baking for 10 min. Then remove from freezer as needed. Top and bake.

Juliem, the bread is yummy, too. I make it in a bread machine. Some say it doesn't need to be frozen but I always slice, wrap, and freeze mine. Hubby and I don't eat a whole loaf very quickly. It's delicious removed from freezer and "warmed" or toasted. Great sandwiches, etc. Tell me about the Cinnamon rolls. Is that one of the recipes provided? Or how did you make them?

Yes - please tell us about the cin. rolls. I love Chebe pizza crust but the cin. buns from them were just awful. The birds and bunnies out back liked them though. They were like little rocks. My hubby tried to be nice and eat them and he got about three of them down but they were tiny and he could have eaten 10 if he'd liked them. Ick!

Yes - please tell us about the cin. rolls.

Ok, I totally made up this recipe for the cinnamon rolls. I just prepare Pamela's Amazing Wheat Free Bread mix according to bread directions:

I dump the flour mixture, yeast packet and 2 c. liquid ingredients (this is 1/4 c. oil, 2 eggs and warm water all adding up to 2 cups total) into a large bowl. Then I beat with a hand mixer with the dough hook attachments for 3 minutes. Dough is very sticky so I use plain rice flour to pat all over surface to make it easier to work with and form it into a bread loaf like shape and get it rolled out. I also use the plain rice flour to sprinkle all over the roll out surface and the rolling pin. I then roll it out into about a 16-18" x 7-9" rectangle (you don't have to be too fussy over the exact measurements, just make sure it's a rectangle and maybe about 1/4" thick or so) I then brush melted butter all over surface of rolled out dough and sprinkle over the melted butter a mixture of 1/2 c. brown sugar, 2 tbsp. white sugar, and 2 tsp. ground cinnamon. Then I roll it up like a jelly roll- starting with the longest side turn it in lengthwise and keep rolling until it's one long roll or log. I then slice it into 4 equal portions (cut it in half, then each half in half, so you have 4 equal portions) Then I cut each of those 4 portions into thirds- so this makes a total of 12 rolls (about 2" wide each). I butter the baking pans, I have 2 baking pans that are about 7"x 10" and 6 rolls in each pan works perfectly, and then place the rolls in the pans cut side down. I cover each pan with saran wrap and let sit in a warm place (I just put them on top of the preheated oven) for about 50-60 minutes to rise (they will only rise a little bit). Then bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes. I frost with a cream cheese glaze on when they are right out of the oven (4 oz cream cheese, 1/2 c. powder sugar, and 4 tbsp milk or cream, beat until creamy)- totally optional though.

Hopefully my directions aren't confusing!

I have made these 3 times so far and it gets easier each time, and they come out better each time! I think it's just a matter of getting used to the dough and fine tuning the process with every attempt. My gluten eating family absolutely rave over them, and my sweet tooth nieces said these are their favorite. So this recipe is definitely a keeper in my family!

Ok, I totally made up this recipe for the cinnamon rolls.

Thank you....think you just provided a breakfast for this wknd. Pizza and cin rolls success all in one week :)

Thank you....think you just provided a breakfast for this wknd. Pizza and cin rolls success all in one week :)

No problem, I hope they turn out for you as good as they did for me. If you can tame the sticky dough and get it to cooperate that is half the battle :lol:

Also, just a tip, if you have everything sort of assembly line and ready to go before you start beating the dough mixture I found it will make the process go more smoothly-preheat the oven, grease the pans, melt the butter, measure out the cinnamon sugar mixture, flour the roll out surface, etc. - then beat the dough.

If you happen to find any simpler pizza crust recipes, please let me know. That one has many ingredients I'm allergic to.

The list of ingredients I can work with is:

millet flour

rice flour (white or brown)

baking soda

vitamin C

salt

honey or agave nectar

olive or safflower oil

If anyone has ideas, I'd appreciate them. I do miss pizza crust.