This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Quick Question

KayJay

KayJay Enthusiast

Maddie is 8 months old and still only breastfed. She used to have a dirty diaper once a day sometimes every other day. Now she has gone a week with not BM. The doctor told me to give her a suppository and that worked. Then still no BM 3 days later and we gave her another suppository and it worked. She was screaming that time until we gave it to her and then she was fine.

Here is my question-I know it is normal for babies that are breastfed to go a long time with no bm. But she has never done this and she is 8 months old. The GI doc. said she should go every 3 days.

I know when she was younger they said it was normal to wait so long. Is it not normal for an older baby? I know some of you waited to introduce solids so I was asking here what your experience was.

Also we are supposed to start solids this week. Of course I will ask the doctor now if that is still okay but what would you think yes or no?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ursa Major Collaborator

Well, her bowel movements sound normal for a breastfed baby, I wouldn't worry about it. I see no harm in starting solid foods now. Four out of my five children refused anything but breast milk until they were eight months old. Three out of those weaned themselves within a couple of months though, somehow they loved solids. Only my youngest still needed to be nursed until she was almost two. Every kid is different.

Don't start with cereal! I know that's what they suggest, but it is a terrible idea. The same goes for cows milk. Start with fruit and vegetables, and add in meat within a month or two. By about a year the baby's iron stores will run out, and they get iron through meat. Iron is essential for brain growth.

And don't start with anything really sweet, no need to have the baby develop a sweet tooth already. The best is to use your blender and to put some of your own supper foods through the blender (like carrots and potatoes). But only introduce ONE new food a week, that way you'll know if the baby is allergic (or intolerant) to any foods you try, and know which ones to avoid.

Have fun with the solids! I always did, babies are so cute when first trying foods.

jnclelland Contributor

It sounds really normal to me; as they get older, their intestinal flora get more mature, and their bowel habits change accordingly. I recall reading that you should only use the suppositories if the baby is in serious discomfort over not being able to poop, because you don't want him to come to rely on them. It's totally within the normal range for a breasfed baby to go a week without pooping, so try not to worry too much!

This comment from Ursula brought back a memory for me:

The best is to use your blender and to put some of your own supper foods through the blender (like carrots and potatoes). .

The first food we ever fed my first baby was carrots that we processed ourselves in the blender. He pooped carrots - not particularly digested, even - for a week! After that, we decided to splurge on the Gerber baby food which was a good deal more processed and seemed to be digested better early on. (But like everything else, your mileage may vary!)

Jeanne

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular

My youngest went similarly long periods between poops at that age (and she was breastfed only). Our pediatrician suggested starting with large-stone fruits (pears, peaches, plums, and apricots), and to avoid bananas, wheat and rice cereal, and applesauce as they tended to be constipating. We did give our kids oatmeal back then, but that was before we were aware of gluten issues!

KayJay Enthusiast

Thanks I guess I am just concerned because it has changed and she was really upset the other day. As for solids we are excited that we did get the go ahead for soilds from her GI doc. I am trying to make my own so that I know exactly what is in it. She has had so many problems I want to know for sure what the cause is.

Thanks

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular

What a cute baby!

TCA Contributor

My daughter has a lot of problems with constipation, but a lot of that is because she is on so many meds for her heart and reflux that are constipating. She has a feeding tube and I started mixing prunes right in with the breast milk at night since it runs at 2 oz. per hour over night. It has helped trememdously. I know prunes are sweet, but they are a great natural fix for constipation. We use the gerber ones and have had no cc issues and she is ULTRA sensitive. Hope she does well on solids!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ursa Major Collaborator

Oh, right, I agree totally with TCA, prunes or prune juice for constipation are far superior (because they're natural, with no side effects) to those suppositories! That's what I gave one of my kids when she was constipated as a baby (forgot about that, it's 20 years ago), and it worked like a charm. She actually loved prune juice!

jerseyangel Proficient

This reminds me of giving my son prune juice many years ago for constipation. I had a strong feeling he would not want to drink it, so since he loved raisins, I told him it was raisin juice! In a glass, that's what it looked like to him--he drank it happily ;)

KayJay Enthusiast

:D Raisin Juice

Thanks that is what my mom said too. I will call the doctor later on today and see what he says. She was doing so well and we were so excited to start solids this week. I hoping he doesn't want to delay her anymore.

Archived