• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Rate this topic

So i had a Upper Gi done with one of those milkshake things where they take x-rays, doctor got the results called me and said everything looked normal besides there was *spelling* subsarean folds in my small intestines and that is a sign of celiac disease. Im confused i thought they couldnt see anything with a GI, does this meen that i have lots of damage done or is this normal?? i thought i was at minimal damage and that we caught this early but from what it sounds like im in bad shape??

Those upper GI series does pretty much nothing for detecting celiac. If anything abnormal showed on there I would assume there is quite a bit of damage. Why did they do the upper GI series on you? Don't worry though...assuming there is a lot of damage it can be reversed with the diet:)

he was trying to do the cheapist things first because i dont have health insurance

but i dont think he knows what he is doing, he orderd the blood panel kit and scheduled me to take it tomorrow, but he took me off gluten about 2 weeks ago. I told him and his nurse that the test can show a false negative if im off gluten, he told me the tests are more advanced then that and it wont be a problem....... so is there a new test none of you have herd of or is his head barried somewhere that smells

He doesn't know what he's talking about. The recommendation is still that you shouldn't go gluten free before testing. Though two weeks isn't very long, with a bit of good luck you might still have antibodies in your blood.

Pauliina

Guest nini

I've heard that sometimes if the damage is so severe that scalloping in the intestine (folds) can be visible and that can be an indication of celiac, as far as the blood test, he doesn't know what he's talking about! (yeah, but try telling him "but I read on the INTERNET...") Yes even two weeks off of gluten can affect the results of the test, but if you have severe damage, the antibodies just might still be elevated enough to show a positive... if after 2 weeks gluten-free, your blood test DOES come up positive, then you would be able to say with absolute certainty that you have this!

Guest nini

my understanding was that it was the same thing... just different terminology, but I'm not a Dr.

so that meens i have lots of damage??? man i thought i was in good shape, i never had stomic problems or any sighns of celiac until i got the flu last month :(

oh :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r: sorry i just like ninjas

my understanding was that it was the same thing... just different terminology, but I'm not a Dr.

That's what I was thinking too... You can view the intestines w/o a biopsy and notice *signs* of celiac disease...like the scalloping. Why don't you have the blood work done? I think you said something about a blood work thread...I'll go look for it...