• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

skipper30

Do You Med Id Your Child?

Rate this topic

I was wondering if anyone has their child wear a medical id bracelet??

I'm not a child but I wear a med id necklace. I got it through Walgreens and it only cost about 10 dollars. You fill out form listing the information you want on it both front and back. I like it better than a bracelet.

Tom

we've discussed it a number of times on the forum, and the general consensus is that in the case of a life-threatening emergency, only IV meds are being given, and those are gluten-free. a person isn't going to be fed real food or drugs until they are conscious, and you'd be there sooner than that anyway.

celiac isn't immediately life-threatening, so many of us have decided that it's better not to confuse the situation or make it any more complicated than need be. obviously, a few *have* decided to go this route, and it is certainly one option, but there isn't an overwhelming need to do so, as there would be if your child had an anaphylactic penacillin allergy, for instance.

Yes, both my children wear medic alert bracelets. They have other medical conditions (diabetes, hyothyroid, stinging insect allergy) besides the celiac. When they were diagnosed I asked paramedics, I asked them because they are the first responders in an emergency. Our regular GP didnt seem overly ocncerned about ID.

The paramedics said YES, because certain volume expanders and some drugs have starch and they would avoid using those drugs in a celiac. Some medications contain gluten (and lactose). Gluten and lactose are called excipients and are used as fillers in some medications.

Thanks for the feed back.

I think we are going to have him do it now, just because he is so young. This may change when he is older.

I am also wondering if Celiacs can have celiac AND a wheat allergy??

Dallas

I am also wondering if Celiacs can have celiac AND a wheat allergy??

Yes, they are two different reactions - one mediated by the IgG/IgA pathway, one by the IgE pathway.

nope. I taught my girls to say their name, address, phone number, Daddy's name, where he works, the number there, and grandma's name and number. (In case they ever get lost.) When I taught them all that I also taught them to say "I have celiac disease and need a gluten free diet" so if they ever do get into a situation I figure I have them covered (although I can't for the life of me figure out when they would be lost and need to eat before I found them....)

as far as medical emergencies... Annika knows that she had a surgery for her intestines being "telescoped" and that they took out her appendix (she says "they tooked out my ppendix") and Kathryn knows how to say all that too, although I don't know if it's useful or if they would believe her when she told them since she's only 3 (or rather will be three on Monday)