• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

mick66

Suddenly Bad Headaches! Anyone Else?

Rate this topic

Hi everyone,

went to ent a couple weeks ago cause of sudden severe headaches, dizziness(vertigo), loss of balance, sensitivity to light, sound, buzzing in my ear.(these are still bothering me today) She did some balance testing and a hearing test( which I'm not sure I did so well) She did not tell me the results, but had to turn up the sound and had to be repeated. Also have blurry, double vision can't read much and no memory. I ask someone a ? they answer less than 5 min. later I ask again ( not realizing, is this the brain fog or something else like stroke?

I can't remember the last time I had a headache, they don't run in my family. She suggested I see a ent neurologist, which I did. He told me to get an MRI of my brain and then come back to see him about the

results.

He did ask me about my symptoms and family history, which I told him. He asked if i had fallen or banged m,y head and did mention stroke or tumor in my brain. He used another word for the tumor, but i looked it up.

I am very nervous about this as my grandmother had many mini strokes (TIA's) and then a few regular

strokes ( she was in her 60's, I'm 40) as well as a couple of heart attacks.

Anyone had these problems?

Are these symptoms or diagnoses related to celiac disease? Or is it just my bad luck? Please help, Mick66

please keep us posted!! my sister (diagnosed with Celiac in September or so) is having these same exact symptoms, plus numbness in her feet. her idiot of a doctor scared us all to death when he told her he liked to start from the worst case scenario and work backwards; he told her it might be MS, so they did an MRI and found out she has a healthy brain. the symptoms are still, there, though, and she's not sure what to pursue next.

a friend of hers said that she had a friend who had the same exact symptoms and it turned out to be polyps in her sinuses and she had surgery to correct it. (?) not out of the question, i guess, but i think we've all grown used to these friends who tell us they have friends who have exactly what we have! :P

anything you find out would be helpful. i hope you feel better soon!!

please keep us posted!! my sister (diagnosed with Celiac in September or so) is having these same exact symptoms, plus numbness in her feet. her idiot of a doctor scared us all to death when he told her he liked to start from the worst case scenario and work backwards; he told her it might be MS, so they did an MRI and found out she has a healthy brain. the symptoms are still, there, though, and she's not sure what to pursue next.

a friend of hers said that she had a friend who had the same exact symptoms and it turned out to be polyps in her sinuses and she had surgery to correct it. (?) not out of the question, i guess, but i think we've all grown used to these friends who tell us they have friends who have exactly what we have! :P

anything you find out would be helpful. i hope you feel better soon!!

Laurelfla,

I go for my MRI of the brain Tues., so when the results come back I will post on the board. You guys are so nice on this board and what a quick response, I am impressed, thank you! I hope your sister's symptoms go away, I would rather have all the D and itching and cramps compared to these other symptoms from the brain that I am experiencing right now and have been for a few weeks now.

Keep me posted on your sister's health, I wish her luck and all my best-I know what she must be going through, why do they get you worked up about the worst scenerios? Afraid of law suits for not mentioning!?

Mick66

I had all these symptoms (except vertigo). I had all kinds of tests...including an MRI on my brain. Everything came back normal. The symptoms mostly go away when I eliminate processed foods but come back if I start to eat processed stuff again. I'm thinking its msg causing the symptoms for me.

after several visits to the doctor, for neurologic symptoms... headaches, fatigue, sudden numbness on one side of the face and scalp, drooling on one side, dizziness, dropping things, stumbling, tingling extremities, forgetfulness, klutzy... you name it.. it was initailly blamed on my diabetes.

The GP gave me a B12 shot - ALL the symptoms went away. I now take B12 injections once a month.

B12 deficiency can occur from poor absorbtion (gut damage) or from pernicious anemia because the parietal cells in the stomach that absorb the vitmain have been destroyed by the immune system.

The blood work did not show really low levels but I did respond to the B12...just like people who have neg biopsies or tests yet respond wonderful to the gluten-free diet.

B12 injectioncannot hurt you if given and you dont have the problem, but not getting it when you are depleted WILL cause problems. Oral B12 doesnt work becasue the parietal cells have to be normal.

The symptoms of MS are similar to B 12 deficiency because B12 is required for normal functioning at the neuromuscular junctions

I have developed a headache that occurs everyday at about 1:30 pm. This just started a week ago the same time I stopped taking Asacol(doctors order to stop). I don't have any other symptoms.

mick66, i was away from the board for a while this summer but was just wondering if you are feeling better. my sister is feeling the same, i think -- my parents are upset because she seems to be refusing to go to the dr. about it. she has had a couple of headaches recently and also sees things ("floaters" is what i think they are called, not sure). also her feet are still numb. i will mention the B12 to her and also the processed foods thing. thanks to all of you for posting your ideas!