• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Sandi*

How Long Before Symptoms Go Away?

Rate this topic

Hi everyone,

a week ago I had my blood tests and an endoscopy done - all negative. I was suspecting gluten sensitivity before so I tested going gluten-free for about 2 weeks. It seemed to work fine but I had to go back on gluten for the tests and I got worse again within 3 days.

Now I've been gluten-free for a couple of days again but it seems like the symptoms aren't going away as fast as they did last time. I suffer from constipation, cramps and bad bloating. Is it normal that it takes longer the second time to get better?

My doc also suspects that I'm sensitive to fructose - today I started a fructose/sugar free diet for about a week and then I test out different sources of sugar to see what botheres me. Is there anyone here who's also sensitive to fructose? Do you have to avoid everything that contains sugar or just high fructose corn syrup?

And my last question - if I can't have fructose, can I have sugar-free candy sweetened with sugar alcohols?

Thanks a lot, I know I have lots of questions but I'm still new to all this and I'm confused.

I have a reaction to any sweetner that is artifical.... My brother- in - law was a diabetic and his doc told him it was better to use a bit of sugar than use an artifical sweetner...This comes from a highly respected doctor..

can't help with the other part of your ???

mamaw

Hi,

It takes me a least 2 weeks to get my stomach back to normal once it gets completely torn up. The last time was from Niferex, an iron supplement. But, my experience with wheat the last time took me minimun 2 weeks to get over. I went from constipation, cramps, bloating, and pain for about a week to "D" for about 3 days. Then just gas and cramping for a few days.

Don't know about the fructose. But, I am relatively new to all this too.

Good luck .. Marcia

I've found that I have trouble with high fructose corn syrup. I found, after completely avoiding it for awhile, I can now tolerate traces of it, (like in ketchup), but still try to avoid it completely as much as possible. I also just don't tolerate any kind of sugary sweet anything very well. Honey seems to be easier for me to tolerate than anything else. No tests, nothing official for me...just a very definite pattern that I recognized.

Thanks for your responses :) . However, I'm a bit confused now. If it takes awhile for the symptoms to go away, how about the other way? I mean, for the fructose I have to watch which foods bother me. So is it possible that for example I eat an apple but don't get sick until 3 days later? That way it's hard to determine what made me sick :(